Author Topic: Timing Chain  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Timing Chain
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
My timing chain is a little noisey, i am aware that there is a manual tensioner that can fix this problem, because it extends further than the stock tensioner?

I have some questions though...

1.  If the chain is still within spec when the stock tensioner has reached its end, and the manual tensioner pushes it further, how do you know when it reaches the end of spec?

2.  The standard tensioner is an auto tensioner isnt it?  What is "manual" about the manual one?  Do you have to physically adjust it yourself every so often to keep it right or what?
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Timing Chain
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »
My timing chain is a little noisey, i am aware that there is a manual tensioner that can fix this problem, because it extends further than the stock tensioner?

I have some questions though...

1.  If the chain is still within spec when the stock tensioner has reached its end, and the manual tensioner pushes it further, how do you know when it reaches the end of spec?

Next time you do the valve adjustment on the bike you measure the chain just like you would your regular chain there is a measurment for link stretch

2.  The standard tensioner is an auto tensioner isnt it? Yes What is "manual" about the manual one?  Do you have to physically adjust it yourself every so often to keep it right or what? yes like maybe once or twice a year or when you hear noise.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol