Author Topic: Found my bike tipped over  (Read 6397 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Found my bike tipped over
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »
Man, this bike is condemnned. :annoy:  There was a big storm that blew in from Friday 'till this morning, and apparently wind gusts made a sail of my bike cover and knocked my bike over on it's right side. The right handlebar is aimed up at the sky right now. I didn't see any other apparent damage to the bike, looks like the bar to the brunt of it.

While that's enough of a problem, I'm more concerned with engine flooding. I have no idea how long the bike was laying on it's side. It was laying on a downhill gradient, if that makes any difference. This probably is what made it easier for the wind to knock it over, even though I took the precaution to lean it more left by putting it on the kickstand, as opposed to the centerstand I usually place it on.

I read somewhere that the B4 cylinders can flood to the point that the block can crack if you try to start it. I haven't tried to start it, and I've place the bike on it's kickstand to lean it left on a lesser gradient (the wind and rain were still pounding when I brought it back up). Also, I don't know if it makes matters any worse, but I topped off the tank before parking it.

So what's the deal? If I leave it sit there for a day or two, is it safe to start it up? If the cylinders did flood to the max, and have now drained into the crankcase, should I dump and change the oil before starting it?

Also, any ideas on how I can try to straighten out the handlebars somewhat so I can get this thing down to the shop? They're Bikemaster bars, so fortunately they're a bit thinner than the OEM bars, but I'm at a loss as to the best way to go about this. I'ts bent at the first upward curve leading from the riser mounts.

As always, thanks for any info.

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 03:40:58 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, and sorry it happened in the first place. Imagine what it was like for me when someone pushed my bike over on PURPOSE while I was at work a few months back! Glad there's not much damage

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »
I'm guessing your bars are tost.   :sad:  

Take a wiff of your oil.  You'll be able to tell if it's contaminated.  You can also check the window, If a lot of gas got in there, obviously the level will be way high.  I'm not sure this is necessary but you can totally prevent hydrolock if you suspect it by pulling the tank and plugs and hitting the starter a couple times.  Look out cuz it'll spit gas sky high if there's any in the chamber.   Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »
Thanks Rob. Well, I only want to straighten the bars out enough to get it down to the shop.

So you're if the cylinders are flooded they won't drain if I leave 'em alone for a few days? Not really in the mood to remove the tank and all, especially since it looks like rain 'till Thursday around here.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 04:39:14 PM »
They -shouldn't- drain, if they do that indicates bad rings. They may leak down slowly over a week or so, maybe. The only real way to be safe is to pull the plugs. You may be in luck, though, since the fuel petcock is on the left. If the bike fell to the right then there is a chance that no fuel could flow do to the gas being all on the other side of the tank.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:37:44 PM »
Actually, they SHOULD drain. There are gaps in the rings, The gaps are staggerd so compression will build during the rapid movement of the pistons when starting/running, but given time, a fluid will leak past them (either way). Gas will leak past them faster than oil. Given the scenario of the fuel tank being on the downhill side of a dumped bike, it's just as likely oil got onto the wrong side of the pistons as fuel.

Since you can't see into the combustions chambers unless you pull the spark plugs, that's the ONLY way to be sure there's nothing left in there that might cause harm. Play it safe, pull the plugs and spin the starter.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 07:56:16 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
Thanks Rob. Well, I only want to straighten the bars out enough to get it down to the shop.

Don't ask why I know this but....

You can probably bend your bars back into place. Remove the bars completely from the bike. Get a big peice of paper, trace the bars. Then from the center point, flip the bars over and draw the good side over the bent side. Use a propane torch to heat the bar where it needs to be bent and hammer away with a mallet. Keep checking the bend until it matches the good side. Use a wet rag to hold the bars as they will get HOT.

Although, if you're going to go to all this work, you might as well just pick up a new set of bars and install them...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »
Yeah - I've never tested my bike but I have no reason to believe I've got compression problems and when my petcock and o-rings went bad, I got tons of gas in my crankcase.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 02:22:32 AM »
Yeah, well, I guess I'll just have to wait 'til the rain checks out of town here before pulling the plugs. Don't feel like doing any of this in the rain.

'Putting the bike up on the sidewalk next storm, tho. I wish Ihad a better place to put it, but on the street with a cover is the best I can do for now.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 11:17:33 AM »
Damn, it never ends. I was just talking to a commercial neighbor from across the street. They were in their shop when they heard my bike go down. They said they went out and PICKED IT UP! :shock: That means by bike went down TWICE!

Strange, they said they smelt gas and thought it may have been leaking out of the tank. When I found my bike down, I didn't smell any gas (which I thought was strange, I was expecting to find a puddle of it). I just got a chance to peek into the tank before, and it's still topped! :?: Considering how I found my bike (on it's right side on a downward incline), I'm pretty surprised about this. Perhaps the gas leaked out of the carbs? I got a chance to look the bike over a little more, and I don't see any trace of fuel leaks.

Unfortunately I did notice a small dent in my exhust pipe where the four pipes meet into one. One of the cynlinder's pipes has a small dent, wondering how's that going to affect the bike. In all honesty, I don't know if that dent was already there or not, as I can't see how it could've occurred in the fall. Not sure how it could've gotten there otherwise, tho.

Offline stripes1976

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 01:36:29 PM »
as a matter of course change your oil and filter!
remove your plugs (making sure you mark which lead is which)
drain the fuel out of the float bowls to make sure the bike doesnt draw anymore through when turning over or disconect the vacuum hose from the tank

Turn the bike over on the starter with out the plugs in
you will probably need to recharge the battery again before starting it properly!

once you have done this put the plugs back in fill the float bowls and start it!
hope there is no serious damage! :duh:

Offline stripes1976

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 11:21:16 PM »
did you get it sorted?

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
Yeah, the bike wasn't hydrolocked. It was "fun" riding it down to the shop with the right handlebar aimed up at the sky.