Author Topic: Question for those w/ newer GSXR rear shocks  (Read 2002 times)

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
Question for those w/ newer GSXR rear shocks
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »
I bolted up my 06' 1000 front end on the bandit this past weekend, awesome.  I had picked up a rear shock off of a friend supposedly from a 2001 gsxr 750, thinking I had read that some of you on here had success mounting up newer GSXR shocks on your B4's.  It would appear to be about half an inch too long and holding it up compared to the stock bandit shock that appears to be the case, I tried lifting the swingarm as well as pushing it as far down as it would go, but the shock is just too long for the shock linkage holes to line up, the top of the shock linkage presses against the bottom of the shock not allowing any further movement to line up the holes.  So I'm just curious if any of you that have mounted up newer gsxr shocks if you had any issues you had to solve to get it to work, or if you could tell me what years/models you know for sure mount up.  Thanks!

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
You will have to grind the linkage down untill they match. And remember to leave some room for play.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:36:27 AM »
Length wasnt an issue on my 06 shock.....pretty sure it was a 750 unit.

I had to use all the B4 hardware,rocker and dogbones.I trimmed a little flat spot on the rocker,to clear the lower spring plate on the shock.Other than that,and relocating the water resevoir,it was pretty much a bolt-up job.

I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »
Got mine in yesterday.  Had to grind a little bit off of the lower spring plate on the shock as well, plus some off of the shock linkage like you guys said, that was necessary but then realized 50% of my problem was that the top shock resevoir was hitting the airbox, so that just took a little encouraging but was able to push it forward the millimeter or two i needed to get the bottom of the shock to line up with the suspension linkage.  Also had to use spacers on the dog bones to clear the shock's spring because it was rubbing slightly.

I ran out of day light but I can tell its much firmer than the busted standard shock, and it sits up higher in the rear matching my gsxr forks nicely, with the stock rear shock it was sketchy to park it because the rear was too low and it was almost sat straight up and down on the kickstand.

Thanks for all the help guys.  Now I just need to make a coolant resevoir out of a bottle or something, and come up with a solution for a headlight.  Not sure though if I want to go with a pair of foglights, try and mount the stock headlight, or go with an Acerbis supermoto style front piece.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:56 PM »
Must be a little different than mine,I had no airbox issues.
I did rotate the rectifier a little to gain better access to the shock adjustments.

If you still have the stock coolant resevoir,heres a good place to put it.Basically bolts right up,just moved the horn to a spot next to the fan.I trimmed a little off the neck for clearance,but you might be able to get it in without that.

I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!