Author Topic: To lap or not to lap  (Read 2635 times)

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
To lap or not to lap
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Ok guys,the B4 has 16 new valves,16 new valve stem seals,32 new springs and of course 32 new cotters.Now the manual calls for NO Lapping after new valve seats are cut.I did not cut new seats. The valve seat surfaces are flawless but they do have 13000 or so miles of the old valves slamming into them.I'd rather not do it but if its neccesary,I will.As the subject says..To lap or not to lap? That is the question......

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: To lap or not to lap
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
Ideally you would have the valve seats "touched up" by someone with a set of of proper angle cutters. f(frequently grinding stones).

I cannot speak for the Bandit 400 engine, but many older Japanese engines' valves are only surface hardened (usually carborized) and any significant lapping removes some of the hardened surface, reducing the life of the valve. This is usually why lapping is NOT recommended.

A local shop should be able to touch up the seats for a pretty nominal fee? This should result in maximum sealing, power and engine life.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: To lap or not to lap
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
stick two valves in and put fluid in port hold valves tight see if it leaks :yikes:if it dont  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol