Author Topic: mysterious...  (Read 3547 times)

Offline but bandit

• Board Regular!
mysterious...
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
Hi there everybody
I'm a new bandit owner, my bike is an M reg 400v i passed my test yesterday and rode my bike around last night and this morning without a hitch...
This afternoon when i set off for a ride and the bike started up fine, but when i got about 300 metres down the road it started to run with very little power and wouldnt rev very responsively in neutral and wouldnt build power well until higher revs and it wouldnt tick over. i turned round to head home and it cut out and would not start back up.
I pushed the bike home and tried to start it up a few times, with no success, i put in some petrol as i thought it could be the problem but it didnt seem to help. the battery had got weak from trying to start it, so i put it on charge and went back to it about an hour later and it fired up first time, revs crisply and seems fine. i havent taken it out for a ride yet, but i think it is ok.

does anybody have any idea what could have caused this????

also another thing about my bike is the indicaters flash faster when the bike is revving or moving in gear, but at tickover when im waiting at traffic lights for instance they flash fine, at the right speed.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
mysterious...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
Sounds like your carbs are clogged up. Also check your entire fuel system, starting at the tank. My original tank was not only rusted, it was FULL of crap.  So start there.

After that, put a fuel filter inline, and also try running some SeaFoam through the system. Hopefully it can loosen up the crud and you won't have yank the carbs off and clean 'em out.

Don't know if SeaFoam is available where you are, as you appear to be out of the States, but here's an article on it:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

Not sure about your blinkers, could be that your rectifier is going/gone and the stator is overcranking the electrical, which if so can also shorten the life of your lights, if not outright overheat something and torch it up. :shock:

Well, hope this helps, good luck.

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
mysterious...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »
i`d agree about your reg/rec probably being shagged

Offline but bandit

• Board Regular!
mysterious...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
hey guys, thanks for the replys.
yeah i think it could be the reg/rec, i dont think the carbs are too dirty because its usually pretty reliable. for the month ive had it ive started it almost every day and it starts fine, no flat spots in the rev range etc.
are reg/recs expensive?

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
mysterious...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »
The rectifier will be between $50-100, depending on brand.

>>i dont think the carbs are too dirty because its usually pretty reliable.<<

Another possibility may be that, if the rectifier is out, it's also sending too much voltage to the ignition black box, and that's not a good thing. If it fries the box, you're gonna have a hard time of it finding the proper replacement unit.

If this is the case, unless you know how to do it yourself, I suggest getting the bike to a shop pronto and seeing if indeed your rectifier is out. There's a link around here to a PDF that shows how to trace your electrical if you're proficient at it. Just do a search for electrical and it should pop up if your adventurous.

I wouldn't rule out the fuel system. Definitely check your tank out, make sure there isn't crud laying in there. I had intermittent fuel delivery problems because of it. It also doesn't hurt to put a fuel filter inline and throw in a can of SeaFoam.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
mysterious...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:06:08 PM »
pick up coil , cdi or coils? more than likely cdi or pickup coils! cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline but bandit

• Board Regular!
mysterious...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »
hey guys, thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it
the bike is now in a garage, the mechanic said as my indicaters were flashing fast it indicates it could be over charging and thinks it is probably the reg/rec.
hopefully my bike will be ok when i get it back, with a new tyre and fork seals aswell.
thanks again

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
mysterious...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
no prob, just spotted a reg/rec on ebay £30

Offline JackBlack

• TURBO TYPER!
mysterious...
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
don't wanna sound like I'm insulting your intellegence but is the choke off? :-D I had that problem a few days ago before I realised and smacked myself upside the head a few times hehe

Offline but bandit

• Board Regular!
mysterious...
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:52:31 AM »
hi
turns out it was the reg/rec, after they changed it it was charging the battery intermitantly and they found a loose connection, and fixed that so now it works fine. :grin:

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
mysterious...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »
cool