Author Topic: I know there are enough of these......  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
I know there are enough of these......
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:54:20 PM »
I know there are enough of these posts, but yes, I am creating yet another post concerning the DIY repair of a busted CDI. As many of you will know, my CDI is knackered. The mechanic has found me one at the very modest price of £70, not including p&p. But, being the skin flint that I am, and also being too impationt to wait the weeks delivery time, I am seriously considering trying to repair it myself. And if I fluff it up, hey, at least I can still get a new one for £70!

I read all of the posts relating to CDI repair, but there seems to be a few variants on methods, and it is a bit broken and jumbled, as well as half of the links not working now. So I just want to make sure that I know what to do before I go performing open heart surgery on my precious little bike.

So, to make sure I have the facts straight...

You open the casing, by either prying it apart or using a dremmel. (Would prying it open damage it? I might not be able to gain access to a dremmel and would probably try prying it open unless it was likely to damage it)
Then you take the circuit board out. Is this as simple as it sounds, or is it stuck to the inside of the casing? If it is stuck down, how would I go about removing it from the casing?
Then I desolder the 4 capacitors and the resistors, making sure to note the positioning and polarity, and replace them with shiney new (heat resistant) ones of the same values.
After doing this, I cover the components over with something like glue to ensure they stay in place and protect them from vibrations. Is this step necessary? And what exactly should I use to cover them?
Then I replace the circuit board back into the casing. (If it was attatched to the casing in the first place, how do I re-attatch it?)
Then I put the top on the casing and stick the casing back together using electrical tape, making sure it is completely waterproof. (Or does anyone know anything better than tape to hold it together and make it waterproof? I read silicone isn't suitable as it will wreck the circuit...)

If someone could confirm/correct the method and answer the questions, that would be great. Then I will be able to decide if I should do it, or if I should just order the new one and wait till it arrives. I hope I am able to do it, because I am just so impatient and can't wait to be back on the road!!

:thanks: in advance!
Coopz
-Silencing Lambs Since October 31st 2006

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:34:02 AM »
joink... i opened my faulty one.... and it still is open, in my case there was a varistor completely desintegrated, so i couldn't know with which varistor to replace it.

-About your other quesitons, we went here first at it by sawing and getting through with a dremel (really it's best).
-the board is indeed stuck with that epoxy stuff or something, just pry it off with a needle (something small 'n pointy).
-putting something over for protection... i don't know what could be used  :sad:
-tape is good enough :wink:

My advice, get a new or a breaker one and in the meanwhile try to fix it. A spare CDI never hurt anyone.
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »
Don't know if you'd be interested or not, because it would take a while to get there.  But I'd be willing to sell you my spare Ignitor Box for $60.00 USD.  I know it would take a few weeks to get there, just thought I'd throw that out though.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:36:18 PM »
Just keep in mind folks, the box for the 93 is different than the one for 91/92.  I always worry that people buying used boxes don't know that.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:06:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice Pitter. My bandit is a 92, so I'll make sure that the one I get is either a 91 or 92.

And thanks for the offer onenicebandit, it's difficult to resist at a price like that, but I can't wait any longer. I need my bike back now! Very generous of you though. :-)

And Farre, thanks for the reply, that makes things a bit clearer for me.

I think I will try fixing the old one while I am waiting for the new one to arrive, and If I succeed, I will either just keep the new one as a spare or sell it on ebay or something. But if I mess it up, no biggie, it was allready broken in the first place!

If anyone has anything else to add, or can answer any more of my questions, please post it here too. I can't have too much info!

Also, does anyone know off the top of their head what the values are of all the components inside the CDI? It would be handy to know so that I could see if I could buy them locally, instead of having to break open my own CDI, and finding out that I can't get the right parts.

I know there are 5 resistors and a few capacitors, but I kneed to know what resistance and what size of capacitors I will need. If you need to know, it's a '92 bandit, as I mentioned before.

One last question, before I go trying to fix this problem by replacing components...

Are faults in the CDI definately related to broken resistors/capacitors? Or could the fault stem from a blown microchip or something that I wouldn't be able to replace easily? 'Cause if it could be a chip problem, theres not much point in me even thinking about it. But if it's only resistors and capacitors needing replaced, then hand me that soldering iron!
Coopz

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »
it's a big question mark till you open it. I didn't know what happened with mine till i could see the Black Box's guts.
For example, mine blew when i tried to push start it. IIRC, the cap's degrade and you'll notice this when it's getting harder and harder to fire the bike up.

The values for the caps are located in the B250/B4 FAQ, 2 or 3 threads...it's in one of them, i'm sure.

Yeah, if only we had the full electronic schematics of the CDI... that would have been perfect! Then at least we could repair any part in it, except the chip (ROM).
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »
Ok, I was hoping that if someone told me, I could go and see if I could get the parts today. But nevermind.

I did a lot of searching, and found the values of the capacitors and transistors I would need, but haven't managed to find what values of resistors I would need. (I plan on just replacing every component, so that it is like new.)

I'm just going to go out around town and see If I can find the parts that I know I need so far, and see if I can find somewhere that sells a wide range of resistors. Then I'll know where to go when I find out what values of resistors I need.

Can anyone help me out with this?  :roll:

Also, just spoke to mechanics wife, and she said he ordered the new CDI today, and sent off the payment, so it should arrive pretty quickly. I just want to see if I could fix my own one quickly rather than having to wait for the new one to arrive. And that way, I'll have a working one and a backup!

Please please help me out!
Coopz

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:23:24 AM »
i'll check mine now, although it's a 10D00 (as to your 10D30)
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
you're referring to R26 & R27? values are identical and colour code says it are 1k resistors with 5% tolerance (Brown Black Red Gold if you wanna double check  :wink: )

ahh, if you ever happen to see what written on V1, you'd make me very happy  :motorsmile:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »
when i was havin probs i found that 10D00 & 10D30 igniters are interchangeable