Author Topic: Trying to get an idea here...  (Read 2172 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
Trying to get an idea here...
« on: February 24, 2007, 12:31:06 PM »
Of the machine work entailed in the overbore kit. On an average, what am I looking at for machine work? And is that all I'll be needing besides the setup gsxr400racer sells on here? Any help would be great. Thanks

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:29:10 PM »
ape is the cheapest to do bore work like 189 just send the cylinder, that cost and the cost of the bore kit is all the money needed to be spent unless you cant tear the motor apart your self then you have labor involed from a shop! Other than that your good to go i supply everthing. But it is a good idea to fluid test your valves to make sure they are sealing if not you should get a valve job while its apart and again ape is the cheapest there to and a well reputable dragracing shop they are!
cheers
anymore questions feel free to ask!
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
Yeah I'd definitely want to get the head refreshed while I'm in there, why not ya know? Do it while it's apart, and be safe. But cool man, definitely thinking about doing the bore out, any suggestions as far as other things to do before assembly? Maybe some GSXR cams and carbs? And is re-jetting a must? And would it be better to switch to some different carbs in the meantime?

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 05:51:59 PM »
your carbs would be fine with a jet kit , it will def. need a rejet your going 3mm bigger than stock bore gsxr cams if you can find them i have feelers out everywhere, can always be put in without taking the motor out again same with if you decided that you wanted all you could get then i might buy some gsxr 400 carbs 33mm i have some for sale in my store. If you are gonna race it then id suggest racing keihin fcr flatslides like i got but stock carbs with a jet kit are fine and you probably have to regear cause what i run was way to short now for the track i ate the gearing up like i dropped a tooth in the front lol. Also for the price of flatslides unless you get lucky like i did from okshon i think the mega squirt FI is the way to go and could be done easy say if you found some throttle bodies from a new gsr400 from okshon wich ive been looking since the gsr came out! lol
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
You know, MS EFI is an interesting idea. I've used it before on a few cars, thought about it on a bike. But, there is a lot of road tuning you would have to do to get the fueling right, so you would need a dyno or something similar to get a base map down. And then there is a fuel pump to add, which might be quite a chore. But I won't be racing it, just wanting to make it a little bit quicker than she is, so if staying carb'ed, I'd stick with the CV's.

Steve

--Nick Voge

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:13:21 AM »
How do you identify GSXR400 cams from GSF400?  I have a buddy who claims he has a set of GSXR's but he is getting that information second hand?  

I bought another engine for my Bandit.  The one in it now runs fine so the spare will be a project for this next winter.  I'd buy the big bore kit now but race season is around the corner and it's draining my blood quickly.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »
measure the lobe and i'll tell you. Oh and i think killer b still has a set for sell i would say 99.9% of the gsxr 400 cams in the states have come from me lol and im having a hard time finding more