Author Topic: starting problems (electrical I think)  (Read 2702 times)

Offline jonno007

• TURBO TYPER!
starting problems (electrical I think)
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:14:26 AM »
I have a problem starting my 1990 bandit 250 wether it is cold or hot. When I press the start button nothing happens for about 10 seconds then it turns and starts perfectly. Very annoying if you stall in peak hour traffic !! Also, the speedometer has stopped working, I took the cable out of the clock and took it for a ride and nothing was spinning so is that the cable thats knackered or something else?
  Would really appreciate any suggestions or remedies !

:thanks:     and lets go for a  :beers:
1990 GSF250 Bandit (GJ74A)

Offline macca11010

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:02:48 PM »
Hay jonno sounds to me like the solinoid is on the way out often in cars this happens and you have to bash the solinoid with a hammer (not the best but it does work for a bit) or try cleaning the starter switch with some electrical cleaner it my not be making a very good connection. Have you checked your battery lately? check the charge mine needs a good overnight charge once every 2-3 months just to keep it in good nick I do a lot of commuting over short distances. As for the speedo cable check the union between the cable and the hub if you arn't sure what it is then disconect the bottom of the cable ant turn the inner cable if that is transfered to the top of the cable then it could be the gears in the hub if all is ok down there then check the speedo it's self. :beers:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »
The hard start issue kinda sounds like a crusty clutch switch. Try giving it a cleaning. I had the same problem when I first got my bike. I can remember praying on re-starts!  :lol:

As for the speedo cable it sounds like it might have snapped. Try pulling on the inner cable and see if it comes out. Check this thread for how to replace the cable:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=3355
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline macca11010

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:52:50 AM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
The hard start issue kinda sounds like a crusty clutch switch. Try giving it a cleaning. I had the same problem when I first got my bike.

I have the 250 1992 model and it doesn't have a clutch switch I think that only came out on the 400's and up I could be wrong let me know if I am. :thanks:  :beers:

Offline jonno007

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
yep thanks guys the start switch just needed a clean and it works fine. No clutch switch on my 1990 model. speedo -  still not sure just booked it in to the garage, still under warranty so its their problem now!  :grin:    One more thing does anyone know the best polish to get rid of scratches on the tank and elswhere? a guy from the UK suggested t-cut but I can't find it here :sad: also some chrome polish for my nice shiny exhausts!

:thanks:  :beers:
1990 GSF250 Bandit (GJ74A)

Offline macca11010

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:47:39 AM »
Mate Mothers is awesome :banana: , or if you want the cheeper alternative try REPO from woolies it's great but doesn' t last as long as Mothers. As for the exhaust I use a metal polish called MAGIC polish it's good for all types you will have a bitch of a time trying to get the top of the headers to come good again :crybaby: mostly it just makes it a polished purple/blue colour which isn't to bad any way. :beers: