Author Topic: Turn Signal Upgrade  (Read 2789 times)

Offline flrover

• New user!
Turn Signal Upgrade
« on: August 28, 2005, 01:40:30 AM »
Help! I upgraded my turn signals with some smaller lockhart phillips blinkers but when  I use them, they stay on. I checked my relay which works with my OEM signals. I also checked the connections and they look good. The wattage on the bulbs of the newer blinkers is different that the orignial ones. Could that be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
Turn Signal Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 12:08:27 PM »
That is the problem.  The bike uses an old heater element style flasher .  When the bulbs come on, they heat up the element. When it's hot enough, it flicks over to the side which breaks the circuit (turns the bulbs off) and allows it to cool enough to flick back over to it's original position. Then the cycle repeats again.  With lower wattage bulbs, you don't create enough heat to heat the element properly which can cause a slow flash or no flash at all. If the wattage is highe, it will cause the flasher to flash faster than the desired rate.

You've got two options.. replace the bulbs with bulbs of the same wattage (assuming the LP signals can take the add'tl wattage witouth melting or (better option IMO) replace the flasher with an electronic flasher (should be available at any auto parts store as a direct replacement for around $10).  Additionally, an electronic flasher will allow you to use LEDs instead of bulbs in your turn signals since they rely on eletronic timing (instead of heating) to flash the signals.

BTW ..the flasher is located on the left side of the bike, mounted to the frame with a rubber mount, behind the side plastic near the rear seat.  It has two wires going to it.
-Brent

Offline flrover

• New user!
Todius!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 03:39:39 AM »
Hey thanks for the thorough explanation and options! I will try to buy comparable bulbs first and see what happens! I will let you know! Thanks again for your time and help!

Offline flrover

• New user!
Lights Fixed/Bike Breaks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 12:26:25 AM »
:sad: It worked! I had to buy a flasher for the new lights because I could not match the bulb wattage but on the way to get my bike inspected and registered, going around fifty mph, my bike hit a dead spot and would not take any more gas so I downshifted and my bike continued to slow down barely responding to me giving it more gas until...it just stopped. Needlesstosay, my bike is back in the shop. I will check the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem. :sad: