Author Topic: Tuning takes time  (Read 2853 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Tuning takes time
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
I purchased a Colortune for the bikes.  (FYI: Colortune is a tool to help adjust a carburetor's air/fuel mixture) I seemed to have opened a can of worms.  Ignorance can be bliss.

Number three cylinder does not respond to changes from the air/fuel idle screw.  It always burns lean.  Lean = too much air:  Too much air = leak, possibly vacuum.  I inspected the carb boots, it's pretty obvious, that's not it.  

Next thing I need to do: Disassemble the carbs and inspect.  Which leads to my question.  Was there someone on the internet selling complete carburetor O-ring kits for the B4?  Does someone maybe have a link?

Thoughts on the Colortune:  It doesn't seem to be very exact.  Usually, air/fuel idle screws are adjusted in small 1/4 turns.  With this Colortune, you can crank the screws 1/2 to 3/4 turns and still not see a difference.  Also, my optimum tuning on these screws seems to only be 1 to 1.5 turns out.  Really?  And then my plugs look real sooty (dry black).  

In the archives someone posted a link to a video of what the Colortune looks like in action.  Here is a much better video that shows it clearly.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Tuning takes time
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »
My bike runs on 1 and a half turns out still smells gassy on idle though and exhuast end carbons up fairly quickly too. Ive replaced all the o rings fitted new float needles set the float heights im lost here.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Tuning takes time
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
ask gsxr400racer for the carb rebuild kit ;)
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Tuning takes time
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 08:28:38 AM »
check your emulsion tubes and needles for wear on the rich running part
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Tuning takes time
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:29:18 PM »
Does anyone know where to find those complete gasket kits for the Bandit carbs?  Thanks.
Duane

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Tuning takes time
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »
Yes jay stocks them