Author Topic: Anyone knows what is he doing?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline silversurfer

• Board Regular!
Anyone knows what is he doing?
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
hi, someone please tell me what is he doing?

http://gallery.darladog.com/v/motorcycles/gsf400/floatbowls/

Seems like getting water out?

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Anyone knows what is he doing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Hi,

Seems to be the drain screw of your carb tank. It allows you to do the following:
- test if the fuel comes to each of your carbs since there is no fuel pump on B400
- remove all the fuel from the carbs if you want to store your motorcycle for a while (obviously, no one does that...)
- remove crap for your carbs

As I am not a master in English technical terms, or if I am completely out of scope, please correct me.

Regards.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:47:09 AM by bdouvill »
Benoit.
Bandit 400 1992, 1st bike.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
I agree...he is using the drain screws on the bottom of the carb float bowls to drain the carbs into a glass jar.

You can clearly see that he has picked up some water. As water is heavier (higher density) than gasoline, it will separate and sink.

In addition to seeing the water, you can also perform a "Clear & Bright" test this way. Good, clean fuel should be basically transparent, allowing you to see through it. Colour is OK. Most Gasolines are naturally slightly straw brownish, but oftern have a slight amount of dye added, but should still look clean and clear, with no noticable water, sediment, cloudyness, etc. and when held up to sunlight, should have a slight "sparkle" or "brightness", ie: "Clear & Bright".

In addition to the water, this fuel also look cloudy. If it were my bike, I would be draining and cleaning the tank and petcock as well.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline silversurfer

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »
Thanks for all replies!  :thumb: