Author Topic: Updating faded black plastics...  (Read 1560 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Updating faded black plastics...
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:32:35 PM »
So, as bikes get older and spend mroe time in the sun, the unpainted plastics (rear fender, handlebar switches, etc) start fading to grey.  Wait long enough and they become this almost Ash grey color....  Well, there are 2 products on the market that can help this.  Krylon Fusion (for plastics) paint and PlastiKote Vinyl Dye.  I've used the PlastiKote stuff extensivly in the past, but decided to try the unknown and see how the Krylon stuff stood up.  In the end, I found out that it doesn't.....  so if you plan on doing this, take the effort to find the PlatiKote product.

Anyway, both products are found in rattle-can form, typically right next to all the spray paints.  Directions are straight-forward on how to prep the surfaces (clean with laquer thinner or acetone, I washed mine with dish soap to knock off all the big chunks and degrease it a little before the acetone rub down), and that you should be doing this outside and with temps between 50 and 80 F.  You just apply, rather like paint...  but these products are Dyes...   meaning there's no real 'film' that covers up scratches and nicks.  Happens to not crack or peel either, because it actually Dyes the plastic instead of covering it up.  15 minites of time and I took a hugger from the first pic, to the 2nd:

And the bike from this:

To this:

As you can tell, quite the difference.  Next up is my switchgear:

Also, they make more than just black, so I'll be able to turn my pink stop/run button back to red.  ;)
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Updating faded black plastics...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:20 PM »
I've never had plastics that faded, but when they do start to gray I just give them a hit with Armor All and it brings them right back to black. Give it a shot on the switch gear.

The bikes really coming along. How much longer until its on the road?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.