Author Topic: Brake feels strange  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Brake feels strange
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
I just had the fluids changed on my bike at the shop, and I hearing a strange sound coming from the front break. It seems, for lack of a better description, like one of the pistons is acting up. The breaks work, but I'm wondering what could make this strange sound that's hard to describe. They don't feel spongy, so I'm at a loss as to what would make the breaks do this after the break fluid was changed. Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Brake feels strange
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
Pop the pads out, clean the piston and push the piston back in the caliper. Repump the lever and see if the piston hangs up.

Also check the caliper sliders to make sure they're lubed and not hanging up as well.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »
Hi Vid,
First is the caliper/wheel tight and have you had new pads as change of pads,say organic to HH/metal could give a different noise/feel. I'd take the bike back to your mec as you list carb and brake trouble after a service and if the shop is worth its salt they will not hesitate to check the bike again.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »
Yeah. already had 'em look at it. I have sintered pads on it. I blew the left seal in an accident and it pissed oil all over the left side, I think they dosed the break with break cleaner as a precaution. Now the breaks grind and squeal when I break, which is the source of the noise. Not sure why it grinds, there's plenty of pad left, only a few hundred miles on them.

Another mech mentioned I have floating discs and caliper. Does that sound right? Or is the caliper loose?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
Yup, correct, floating caliper and rotor.

If you oil soaked the pads, here are your options:

-get new pads and rebed. Make sure to sand the disc to remove the old material and rebed.

-Try to revive the old pads with a torch. You'll see the oils come to the surface if it works, you can then wash off the residue with a clean rag and brakeclean. Rebed.

The other is sometimes successful but no guarantees. I'd almost say new pads as its much easier and not that much money.

If the pads didn't get soaked, try rebedding the pads to the rotor and see if that improves the situation.