Author Topic: Valve adjustment specs?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
Valve adjustment specs?
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »
Ok guys.... I decided that I can't afford to pay someone to do my valve adjustment, so I'm doing it myself.  I've got it torn down, and the vavle cover off, and ready to start, but.... now what?   :duh:  I know which nut i'm supposed to adjust, and I'm picking up a feeler guage after work.  My questions are: What is the correct spacing/gap?  Do I measure between the cam lobe and the tappet?  How do I/ or do I have to advance the engine to get the next valve to come up without bumping starter and flinging oil all over?  Can I pop an engine cover and advance it that way?  Basically, I need to know how to proceed from start  :grin:  Can someone advise?  Thanks in advance!
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Valve adjustment specs?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
Look in the f&Q for some more junk for your trunk that has specs in it i believe as for where to place the feeler gauge either one works fine. On the right side of the motor is a plug with a big flat head slot in it a drag link socket works good for this or a "bf"  screwdriver. turn it clock wise.. (if I'm wrong please reply been a minute since i worked on mine)
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:57 PM »
Ok.  I'll check the other forums for the specs.  Thanks for telling me about that big screw cap thing.. I completely forgot it was there.  I'm assuming that the screw itself comes off counter-clockwise, and the engine turns clockwise.  While I've got it open, is there anything else I should check or do before I put it back together again?  I would sure hate to have to go through all that trouble again.  Thanks again.

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
Just read your other post, and realized I have no idea which is the intake and which is the exhaust valves?  Just a guess.. the front 2 are exhaust, and the rear 2 are intake?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »
coorect the ones facing the exhaust pipes are exhaust valves and the ones facing the intake or carbs are intake valves.
cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
Right on.  Thanks for all your input, and for the Junk for your Trunk thread.  All very useful info, and exactly what I was looking for.  :thanks:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
Dude - it's NOT that hard but there ARE very specific instructions on how the cams have to be lined up to check different valves and so forth.  I'm judging by your post that this is not knowledge you have right off the top of your head like some here do (don't mean any disrespect, just making a guess).  AND there are different clearances for different bikes (250 vs early 400s vs 93 400 vs variable valve bikes...).  Jay's post is great but it only gives one set of clearances.  Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I assume those are for the 91/92 non-variable 400.  If that's not what you have, those probably aren't right for you.  If you're not already pretty familiar with this process, I highly recommend that you not try this without a manual (with the correct specs for your bike).  Search around here.  I think there may be someone that has PDFs you can d/l somewhere.

GOOD LUCK!   :beers: 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
No worries, I took no offense whatsoever and appreciate the honesty.  I consider myself a pretty good wrench, but this is my first shot at something as sensitive as this with such small tolerances which is why I'm asking every dumb question I can think of  :grin: .  Following the instructions to the letter won't be a problem, as long as the PDF manual I'm downloading is good.  As far as the model, yes, it is a 91 400, not the VVT variety, so I'm thinking the specs in that post are the right ones ( still gonna check though).  I wouldn't be doing this myself, but my regular mechanic for this "project bike" is swamped with work and would take 2 weeks at the least and I need this thing back on the road ASAP.  It's my only mode of transport, and all my fixit money has gone into the tank of the wife's car this week.  SO... here goes.  I'm gonna have to know how to do it in the future anyway. 

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
OK, cool!   :bigok:

The manual is great.  I can barely figure out which end of the wrench to hold and was able to do it by myself with the manual and some helpful posts here. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »
BTW, if you didn't see this thread, there are some good tips and examples of my lack of wrenching skills.   :bandit:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »
You know, that thread was the determining factor in my deciding to do it myself!  I took lots of pictures along the way because I KNOW I would normally end up with extra parts. 

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
Unless you have a friend that's a very good machinist, heed the advice to be gentle on the cover bolts....  that's where that post ended and the next one began...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7