Author Topic: valve clearances and cleaning the exhaust  (Read 2220 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
valve clearances and cleaning the exhaust
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:30:12 AM »
Just felt like posting about the maintenance I've been doing the last few days.

Checked and adjusted the valve clearances. Last time I'd done it was 14,800km ago, I'd left it slightly longer than the 6000km the manual recommends. They were all pretty much exactly where I'd left them when I adjusted them last.

Question: when adjusting valves, I've heard the saying "a tappy tappet is a happy tappet", meaning I think to err on the side of a larger gap rather than a smaller gap.

As far as I know, with shim and bucket valves, the clearances tend to get smaller over time due to the valve seat wearing. So it's best to set the clearances at the high side of the recommended range.
Is the same true for tappet valves like in the bandit?

What I've done this time while adjusting the valves was to set them so that 0.152mm did not fit, but 0.127mm (next gauge size down) did.
Is that being too fussy? It would be easier to just set them so that 0.103mm (or what ever it is, damned imperial gauges... ;) ) fit and 0.152mm didn't.
The above is for the inlet valves, but I did the same thing with different clearances for the exhaust.

Other stuff I did was pull the RH crankcase cover off so I could clean the oil level sight glass. It had crudded up on the inside so it was pretty much impossible to see the oil level without using a torch.
The locating pins had corroded a bit in their holes, so it was tricky getting the cover off. I don't think I could remove the pins without damaging them, so just filed a bit of the corrosion off the exposed end and put some grease on them before putting it back together. Wirebrushed and greased the bolts before putting them back in too since they were also a bit corroded.

And I cleaned the exhaust! I'd been meaning to do it for a while, but hadn't got around to it. Hell of a job since it was a bit corroded. Sandpaper and a wirewheel in the electric drill. Then polished it a bit after.
Before/after photos here.
Far from like new, but it's an old bike and it looks better than it did before. (the photo looks better than in real life... ;) ).

Going to try balancing the carbs tomorrow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »
Def. on the right track cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »
As far as wear goes, there are two types counteracting each other...
1. The valve and seat slowly wear causing the valve to slowly work its way into the head, DECREASING space.
2. The tappets, as well as cams, rocker arms etc, all wear over time INCREASING space.

So...depending on what wears first, you may gain or loose tappet clearance, which is why it is best to check and adjust regularly.

My Bandit showed almost zero change in the clearance through the first 15000 kms, but I'm up at 30000 now and will adjust this winter.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)