Author Topic: Dyno Run/Pipes (from old board)  (Read 3954 times)

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
Dyno Run/Pipes (from old board)
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven
(11/22/01 8:05 am)
Dyno Run/Tuning

Hello, I've just did my dyno on my Bandit 250 after changing to an after market muffler.

There wasn't significant increase over the whole RPM range but averaged a gain of 2 hp. Which I think is not bad. At 12,000rev there is even a 5 hp increase!! My scanner is broken at the moment so can't scan it in.

Anyway, the best part is that I didn't lose any horses at any point. Normally I would expect to lose low end grunt for high end. But this didn't happen.

The bike is now much much much more fun, it started to pull hard to as low as 6,000 rev! By now I believe most of u know that Bandit 250 had a variable valve in the engine, after 9800rev this valve opened after this particular point it averaged a 3 hp increase.

Hum.. loving it.. it is definitely worth the money =P

Steven
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RustyAndTheBandit
(11/22/01 8:44 am)
Muffler

Hi Steven, Brian(rusty) from Melbourne Oz here. Just curious as to how much your new exhaust cost and what type it was? Did you have to re-jet or just leave it as is? Go aussie Bandits! Go Bandits!!
Steven
(11/23/01 11:53 am)
Re: Muffler

I've changed to a locally made muffler, it's "Roo Racing". Funny name but nice muffler =P It is really light as it is made out of carbon fibre. (Have u taken off the original muffler? It is damn heavy)

Roo Racing hasn't done a 250 bandit before so mine was a custom job. I've bought the rear can for $550 and spend another $100 for the chromed pipe which connects the collectors to the can.

After changing to the after market muffler, I've only noticed a very slight increase in horsepower in the top end. I've also found the bike puffs at low RPM (5000~8000). Which isn't really good at all, but still, I am happy with the change even though the power became a bit un-useable, because DAMN it sounded so good =)

On carburetted bikes, you would need to rejet it after every change in engine setup to get the most out of it, so recently I've brought the bike to do rejetting/retune, and found out that the bike's fuel/air ratio is completely stuffed up. At times it is running too lean and some times too rich because of the greatly reduced backpressure. I've always heard boom sound from the exhaust before the dyno run when I am canning the bike (ie rev it to the red line), and during the dyno run.. man.. I saw flame =P my bike back fires =P.

The guy made few adjustments and now the bike charges as hard as ever!! (a single dyno run would cost $60. The rejet cost around $220, which includes all labour and parts, which is not bad by my P.O.V)

I could write a lot more and give u much more details but just not sure if u would want to read that much =P

This is my email add, if u've got further more questions: mofious@bigpond.com.au

P.S. now my bandit wheelie off the throttle in 1st gear (no drooping clutch), yupiee!!
bbyrne
(11/25/01 8:13 pm)
Dyno

Steven,
Lucky you weren't standing behind the can when it back fired!!

I am just back from my holidays so that's why i haven't done any posts (back in good ole rainy ireland!)

You sure did spend a lot of money on your can and tuning....i am not sure what it works out as in irish pounds but it is a lot more then what i payed for mine....i put a ART stainless steel on mine.

It cost me £80.....i got it second hand off my friend and put it on myself.......the good thing about the ART cans is that you dont have to rejet or do any tuning.

My b250 is the 1990 model......as with all 1990 models they all have very bad flucuating idle time.........but when i put the can on it sorted it out straight away. My top end power has also shot up.........before it would slowly get up to 100mph and 105-110 mph at the tope end.......but now she shoots up no problem and i also got 115mph out of her.........my friend was riding beside me on his CBR400 and said we were doing 115mph.......not bad for a naked 250 bike don't ya think!!

I havent done any dyno running on her or anything like that but i should really.......all i know is that the performance of the bike has increased greatly....however sometimes she gets a little bogged down at low rpm and a little 'gurrgley' but i am happy with trade off!

on a different note (probably boring ya all now!) i have been trying to get a manual for her since i bought the bike......but there are none whatsoever over here in ireland!Would you be able to get your hands on one over there in OZ!?Of course i would pay you for it and it would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate to get my hands on one!

BTW i got the head bearings sorted out.....i just greased them up and the wobble dissappeared......thanks for the instructions Steven!!

BB
Steven
(11/26/01 6:37 am)
Re: Dyno

Oh, so it was the head bearings which is causing the wobble. It's great that u've sorted that one out.

I'll see if Australia had 1990 bandits, if so of course i can get one and post it to u.

and as for the speed thing, when my bike was on standard form, it had no problem reaching its maxium speed judged by my speedo reading (maxium of 180 km/h).. troble is i ran out of revs =) But anyway, i think top speed on the 250 bandit isn't all that important, as it had no fairing. but i do wheelie really easy now.. and i am getting good at it too. =) i've been able to keep it up for a while and got into 2nd gear =P

the "gurrgley" u were talking about happened on my b250 as well before the rejetting. it is caused by too much fuel. if u let go ur right hand a little it should start to accerate again.
bbyrne
(11/26/01 1:15 pm)
Cheers!

That would be great if you could get that for me Steven.

I think i will get the bike rejetted after second thoughts just in case! But first i have to fix a damm puncture on the back tyre!!
Steven
(11/29/01 3:50 am)
Re: Cheers!

BByrne, my friend said he would need ur engine number and chassis number to see if he can find the service manual for u. So if u can email them to me that would be great, and i'll see if he can get his hands on one.

mofious@bigpond.com.au
bbyrne
(11/29/01 6:31 am)
Will do

Steven,
I'll get that on to you asap.

Cheers,
BB
Jhendo72
(11/29/01 8:03 pm)
Muffler

Rusty, just to let you know about a good muffler here in Oz give Pipemasters a call in Brisbane they have done a 250 bandit slip-on pipe and can.

Cheers Jason (Brisbane)
Steven
(11/30/01 12:11 am)
Re: Muffler

i was actually thinking to get Pipemarsters. But.. hum.. for some reason i've got roo racing instead
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Dyno Run/Pipes (from old board)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:33:28 PM »
Thx, Echo!   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD