Author Topic: vv head swap!  (Read 2803 times)

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
vv head swap!
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
Has anyone actually succeeded or attempted this? I have been searching but there are tons of dead links...

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: vv head swap!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:51:25 AM »
First question is WHY!!!!
Dont you know that VVC stands for very, very, costly!! Ive been running one for 16+ years and they are a hole in the head. Ye i know youll ask why i dont sell it but its become a love/hate thing. You cannot do the swop without a complete motor, loom, cdi, carbs with tps and vvc relays. Even then you need the motor to come with the cam sensors and oil pump for the vvc. The VVC casings are different and have a oil take off underneath for the vvc, the engine breather comes out the top of the gearbox and nothing in the head is interchangeable. You got to love em tho!!

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
Hokay, nevermind.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
Ye, its no simple job and i forgot the main difference being that the frames are different for cam sensors and tps. Money could be better spent on the suspension as ths B4's a little raw as stock.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Dont you know that VVC stands for very, very, costly!!

Agreed!

And the real fun comes when you've got to do a valve clearance check! Does 48 separate measurements sound like fun?  :grin:
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
LOL, hey Wudy i did tell you that you'd know all there was to know about valve clearences after doing the VVC. Mine has spat its dummy again and eat 3 reg/rec's in two weeks. Ive been banging my head over it for days and can only think that the starter relay is shorting the reg when i push the starter- this is cooking the reg but not showing a fault when the bike is off or running. :banghead:

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
lol you did indeed! I wish I knew what I was doing ages ago, could've had it running by now. Ah well, learning is all part of the fun! Just waiting on the rocker top hat shims (the parts dept will be putting the part no's on their system specially for me! Got to wait till they're on there which will be Monday, then I can find out how long it'll be!). But got new chain and sprockets to fit and put other bits back together (cam chain tensioner, batt, sprocket cover, exhaust etc) so plenty to do while I wait.

Oh, and while we're veering off-topic slightly, would the exhaust headers be ok if one of them (#2) is only held in by one bolt rather than the two? Can't imagine it's going to blow by the way it slots inside the head.

Nothing but fun and games aren't they! Couldn't bear to part with it though, damn things...
Hope you get it sorted soon! Cos that's going to get expensive using RRs as consumables!
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC