Author Topic: VVC engine 'stuttering'. Help needed on the diagnosis  (Read 2395 times)

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
VVC engine 'stuttering'. Help needed on the diagnosis
« on: November 06, 2006, 03:40:43 AM »
The VVC engine on my '92 VVC bandit appears to have developed a small problem.

When I go to roll on the power, sometimes the engine responds, and sometimes it doesn't.  This can happen at any point in the rev range. It can also drop down a couple of K with no warning, or 'stick' at a certain maximum rev point no matter how frantically you twist (it will rev hard and clean if I pull the clutch in when it is doing this, but gets temperamental again if I let the clutch out).

It revs cleanly all the way up to redline when the engine is in neutral. It only displays this problem under load (in gear).

This problem occurs frequently (every couple of minutes when riding). The engine will stay 'stuck' for up to half a minute, and then 'unstick' suddenly, revving up hard with a huge burst of power with no warning, and flinging the bike down the road with me hanging on for dear life and trying not to run into the back of the car in front.

I was thinking that maybe the carb inlet slide might be intermittently sticking (holds at a certain rev point, then suddenly opens up when it unsticks and sucks in more air, revving hard and flinging the bike forward).

However, that doesn't really square up with the clean revving under no load conditions. Does that make sense or am I talking rubbish? I would be inclined to think it's a dodgy throttle cable or carb slide, but simply because it revs clean in neutral, I'm thinking that the problem might lie elsewhere.

So, I've read a lot on this board about dodgy and temperamental CDI units.

Is this the sort of thing that could be attributed to a malfunctioning CDI? Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:03:19 AM »
When it "sticks" how does it sound?  Does it sound rough - like it's on 2 cylinders?  I had a similar situation with mine.  It ended up being bad contact at the little spade connectors going into one of the coils.  At certain times, they would jiggle loose and I would lose those two cylinders.  Then, they would jiggle back and... zoom!  

If it sounds OK but just won't rev, could it be at certain bar postitions your throttle cable is sticking?  

Just some thoughts...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline wyntrblue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
had the same problem, was carbs, just need to strip clean and reasemble should be fine

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »
I'll strip the carbs down in the next week or two when I get a chance.

Could very well be loose connection(s) as well. It took a bit of a jolting being trailered down to the track.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 01:34:08 AM »
Well, that was the easiest fix i've ever had to carry out.

Fiddled around with the electrical connectors. Seemed to be working ok, but couldn't fully test it without going for a ride. So I did, and it works fine.

My lucky day, I suppose. Thanks Pitter.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:32:42 AM »
When it "sticks" how does it sound?  Does it sound rough - like it's on 2 cylinders?  I had a similar situation with mine.  It ended up being bad contact at the little spade connectors going into one of the coils.  At certain times, they would jiggle loose and I would lose those two cylinders.  Then, they would jiggle back and... zoom!  

I had the same problem and nearly got stranded far away from home. Luckily I was able to fix it in a parking lot. If it is the little spade connector wire it will keep causing you problems until you fix it. I ended up stripping the wire back a bit and using a new crimp on connector. No problems since the repair.

It seems that wire doesn't like being beat around by the wind at highway speeds... that's when it usually fails.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:45:06 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"

I had the same problem and nearly got stranded far away from home. Luckily I was able to fix it in a parking lot. If it is the little spade connector wire it will keep causing you problems until you fix it. I ended up stripping the wire back a bit and using a new crimp on connector. No problems since the repair.

It seems that wire doesn't like being beat around by the wind at highway speeds... that's when it usually fails.

It seems like one or more of them was working loose. I suspect it was from being bounced around in the trailer, and then thrashed on the track. Someting to bear in mind, though.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:12:47 AM »
Cool.  Glad it was something simple!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED