Author Topic: Engine sounds - possible problem?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline rooster

• Board Regular!
Engine sounds - possible problem?
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
Hi all,

I've been riding my '92 B250 for about two years now, regularly serviced every 5,000km with no major issues and no engine problems whatsoever (all issues have been carb or tiny electrical problems).

The engine seems to be making two sounds that make me slightly concerned though.

1st is what seems to be a clutch sound. The bike has been doing this for about a year though, mechanic either hasn't noticed or it's a non-issue. When the bike is in neutral there's a low sort of rumble from behind the clutch cover. It disappears when you pull the clutch in. Only heard at idle when the bike is stationary. No clutch slipping or any clutch problems when riding though.

2nd is a little more worrying, just cropped up last few days. When idling at a stop I can hear a very faint ticking sound. It comes and goes, when it is making the sound it's irregular, like a sort of "tick tick.....tick tick tick....tick......tick tick". It sounds like it's coming from around the head or cam cover. Is that the sound of a dicky timing chain?

The only engine adjustments that have been done were valve adjustments approximately 8,000km ago.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Engine sounds - possible problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:01 AM »
2) It disappears when you rev it? Could be camchain

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
Would be worth re checking the valve clearances to see if it clears up.
If the clutch is loud enough to be of worry you may have wear in the bearing or a the nut that holds the basket on could be slightly loose. Both of these clutch issues can be checked with the engine in the frame so not too bad.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
1. Is probably the clutch basket. Suzuki's are kind of notorious for rattlely clutch baskets. Either re-torque the the basket or don't bother, you should have heard my GS750EF! Nothing to worry about but if you like you can take the left side engine cover off and inspect for your piece of mind. You'll have to drain the oil unless you want to recreate the Exxon Valdez on your driveway. Check the clutch plates while your there, maybe you were doing crazy drag burnouts or hard on the clutch? If worn, replace. Check the springs as well, if they are tired after many miles they will loosen up a bit and rattle.

2. The ticking or whatever is probably just normal valve noise when hot, but when was your last valve adjustment? If it was fairly recent the valves will be a little loose and a bit noisier than normal.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:39:37 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline rooster

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »
2) It disappears when you rev it? Could be camchain

Yep, when I rev it the sound disappears (or at least is drowned out by the extra engine noise).

For all I know it could have been making that sound for a long time. I only noticed it recently because I lowered the idle speed (the lower idle speed seems to make for better throttle response when moving away from a stop) and so the bike is a bit quieter when idling.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
If you want to test to set if its the cam chain, loosen the auto tensioner lock bolt and manually tighten the cam chain tensioner bolt, see if it goes away.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:06 AM »
x2 on the noisy clutch.
mine has a good rattle when it warms up and goes away when you pull the clutch in.
is pretty quite when its cold, but as the oil warms up and thins out it gets worse.
is nothing to worry bout unless you are having gear engagement problems.