Author Topic: Starting/idling problem (aka--yet another fun post from me!)  (Read 2072 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Well, I finally got my wheels painted up, new wheels installed etc! I work on my bike at my office/warehouse, because I have more room there and more privacy..kinda hard to keep your bike in peices in an underground apartment parking lot!

Anyway...today I finished up work on my bike and rode it home....everything was fine. I let it sit for a few hours, and then went down to take it for a short ride. The bike starts, but idles REALLY low (with the choke all the way open) and then dies. I can rev the engine up with the throttle no problem...but it idles at like 200rpm and quits. I have to give it a bit of gas too to get it started again.

Usually, what I do is open the choke all the way when starting it, it'll start, then rev up to 4000rpm and I'll immedealty close the choke, and it'll idle normally. I usually let it warm up a few minutes too.

Is that the right thing to do? Hope I'm not doing anything wrong here.

As for this starting problem...any ideas? I'm guessing its carb related...the bike was performing perfectly fine a few hours before.

Sigh.... :annoy:  :sad:  I just want to  :motorsmile:  already!!!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Starting/idling problem (aka--yet another fun post from me!)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:03:58 AM »
Ive been having this problem since i replaced my float needle's and o rings and only very quickly set the float heights. I think my carbs may be flooding a little bit causing it to run rich my bike smells gassy on idle all the time. I want to fix it but cant due to hospital orders lol. Have a smell of your exhaust gasses whilst its idling. Could be dirts got into your float valves from your tank and theyre leaking.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »
How did it run with no choke??  In the weather we've been having over here, Dita's guaranteed to be a grump if I use choke right now.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
With no choke, it would die at idle...I had to keep the choke all the way open just to have it idle at 200rpm.

BTW--I started it yesterday morning..just to see what would happen, it started up perfectly fine (open choke when starting, let it rev up by itself, close choke). I took it out for a little ride after work..again, started up and ran normally.  :grin: Not sure what the problem was....

I'm thinking it needs a good carb clean soon. I dumped another half-can of seafoam in the tank, hopefully that'll work.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
Perhaps your little bike just has a SF addiction??  :shrug:  :stickpoke:  I've had that problem with Dita, but for the life of me I can't remember what the remedy was.  I'll ask the other half when Dita brings him home.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works