Author Topic: Any tips for breaking-in??  (Read 3395 times)

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Any tips for breaking-in??
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:14:13 AM »
Hi, just replace piston and rings on my other bike. I need advice on breaking-in the newly reamed cylinder.
How long is needed for good breaking-in period?
How do I find the correct RPM-range for breaking-in?
Is pillion allowed during this period?
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:06:08 AM »
I'm from the camp that believes you should break them in how you're gonna use them. If the engine will be used in gentle service, break it in easy. If the engine will be used hard, break it in hard.

Check out this link:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »
Just drive it !!!!!!!!!
Put a couple of hundered miles on it and change the oil and filter. Check for leaks and go out and enjoy it.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
what kind of bike is it first , and what did you do stock size or big bore?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:49:42 PM »
It's a single cylinder 4 stroke. The mechanic said I should ride 1000km and not to exceed 80km/h.

Now I ride it daily to my work. Total distance : 10km only/day. Assuming I use it 5 times a week then I should ride like a granny for 20 week!!!
Oh and it's not a bore-up machining, just a standard work to 2nd oversize piston.

I read an article in motorcycle magazine bout break-in, they use a stepping up limit for RPM but I lost the copies. What I remember is not to ride with passenger in first period of breaking-in and do not ever ride in too low RPM since engine knocking would cause more damage dan over revving it. Is that true?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:59:30 PM »
Fire it up blipping the throttle till warm off choke , then rev it a bit higher blipping the throttle till to full operating temp . shut off let cool all the way down and  do that one more time like the next day to , then cool down and go ride it how you want . you just put it through 2 heat cycles should be good . this is how i do it anyway.Just dont let it idlle, keep blipping the throttle it wont take long to come up to full temp rmember you dont want to over heat it! just operating temp. :beers:
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:49 AM »
J, that sounds so simple. How durable until the next oversize could I expect from your method?

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:56:38 AM »
Sometimes it may be hard to get the rings to seat if you don't have a load on the engine.

My opinion:
Start it up, ride gently to get the temp up, ride it up to 25 mph, slowly let it coast down in gear, repeat a few times, go up to 35, repeat up to highway speed.  
Put 15-20 miles on like this, change oil. Ride it normally for a few hundred miles and change oil again.
You can use any oil except synthetic for the first few changes (no sense in spending a lot of money on oil if it is coming out anyway). The compression coasting should place a load on the rings and allow them to heat and seat.
Gradually increase the revs over the first 100 miles but don't drone on at a steady state for miles. They need a load.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 01:33:44 PM »
Quote from: "banditcilik"
J, that sounds so simple. How durable until the next oversize could I expect from your method?

Not sure , but i have done all the shop bike like this for 13 years , unless i rebuild the bottom end . But the cam companys even say to not let it idle. I usually retorque the head to after the first heat cycle but that is just me (once it is cooled down) and i use straight weight oil for the break in like 30w no 10 w 30 . but it doesnt hurt if you do im just anal about little things. what i suggest is you take alittle from all this info people gave and come up with your own conclusion on how you wanna do it. maybe a mixture of all. but i would not ride it easy for 500 miles thats rediculous.