Author Topic: What exactly is entailed in a Carb Cleaning/Synching  (Read 2467 times)

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
What exactly is entailed in a Carb Cleaning/Synching
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »
I just bought a bandit that isn't running correctly.  I always here people talking about cleaning carbs, synching carbs, carb stuff...I've been racing MX for 11 years and have dealt with a lot of carb problems, is there something dramatically different from MX carbs than street carbs.  Aren't we still draining float bowl, removing the bowl and getting splooge out as well as checking the jets and making sure they are free of dirt and debris?  Like I said...I'm new to the street scene and I desperately want to get this bike rolling, I'm doing everything myself, but just wondering about the carb thing.  Thanks
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
Look around.  There are tons of good posts here on carb issues but you've basically got it on the cleaning side.  While apart, check orings, diaphrams, slides...  

Synching - again look around.  We've covered it here a bunch.  Basically, you're synchronizing the carbs to work together.  It is tested by comparing the vacuum between the carbs via the little ports on top.  www.motionpro.com has what are probably the most popular synch tools and they also have a good how-to pdf there.  

Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »
while we're at it (sync'ing) again.. when you connect 1&4 for example, should the levels in both parts be stable or is it normal that they wobble? 1goes up, 4 goes down, then viceversa and repeating...
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:45 PM »
It wobbles, but usually the sync tools are dampened by fluid. The homemade sync tool can be dampened as well, for example if you use thin oil instead of water in the tubes.