Author Topic: A little help needed, some confusion on fuel line routing  (Read 3405 times)

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
A little help needed, some confusion on fuel line routing
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »
I just picked up a 49 state bandit 400 off Ebay. I'm having troubles with re-connecting the fuel lines properly. I have 4 lines instead of 3. I assume that the line from the bottom of the carb rail is the feed line from the front of petcock. The one on the rear goes to the vacuum port on the number one cylinder. Lastly the vent nipple on the tank hooks up to the hose that goes back to the coolant tank area. Where does the line from the top center of the fuel rail go?  or do I have this thing all screwed up and sideways.....

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
Re: A little help needed, some confusion on fuel line routing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:45:44 AM »
Found it in one of the downloads  :thumb:  but the SOB still won't start :banghead:

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
Probably not entirely useful to you anymore, but in case someone else has the same question:  the hose from the top rail of the carbs is a vent hose.  It's routed straight up and then lays down the back of the air box.

And whenever my carbs are drained it's easiest for me to refill them (at least partially) manually before connecting the fuel line to the tank.  This way I don't have to suck on the vacuum hose or wait / wonder about them getting filled.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
And whenever my carbs are drained it's easiest for me to refill them (at least partially) manually before connecting the fuel line to the tank.  This way I don't have to suck on the vacuum hose or wait / wonder about them getting filled.

I don't know what kind of bike you've got, but on the bandit 400 fuel tap, there's a screw in the face of it that limits the rotation. If you remove it and turn the tap past it (pointing up) it'll let the fuel flow without the vacuum.

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »
Thanks for that.  That's one of many things I've picked up here. :)

Usually when I pull the carbs -- like four times this week! -- I'll drain the bowls into a small aux tank.  Instead of just pouring it back into the tank I'll leave it in the small tank and pour it back into the carbs when I'm done.  That way I know they're full (except for any random spillage) and I won't try to overfill them.  It also prevents running into any over-fill problems like when I find out after starting up I find that *somehow* I tore or left out a gasket or whacked the floats.  (Der...)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »
Usually when I pull the carbs -- like four times this week!

Been there and done that but I'm proud to say this year I haven't pulled the carbs once... and I even put her to sleep last winter without using stabil...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.