Author Topic: Repairing fork pits?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
My forks have a couple of pits in them, and they are now leaking so im goin to replace the seals but i wanna fix the pits while im at it so i dont have this problem again.

Should i just sand them out?

I heard it mentioned that pits can be filled with epoxy resin?  Does this work?

CHeers
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
You can fill the pits with epoxy for a temporary fix. THe only way to properly do it is too get the legs rechromed.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:22:34 AM »
How do you do it with epoxy resin?

I've just redone my seals last weekend and tried filling the pits with 5 minute epoxy. I put a bit too much on with the intention of sanding it back, but it just clogged the sandpaper, so I ended up scraping it all off again with a craft knife.

I guess you have to use a less-rubbery type of epoxy like what they use for moulding things? And put a whole lot less on (like a drop from a toothpic on each pit)?

I gave up on the epoxy idea and just sanded the forks with 400 grit and 1200 grit like BrianM suggested in his post in the "Another fork question" thread in the FAQ section and put the forks back together with the new seals.

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
if you sand the pits out that will make a dip in that part of the stanchion as it will be lower cos you have sanded it away, would that cause any problems or leaks etc?
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
As long as the stanchion is smooth and will not catch a fingernail, you should be fine. The lips to the seals are spring loaded afterall.

I would suggest coating the nick or smoothed down area with some clear nailpolish as well as the lacquer will provide a smooth surface for the seal to travel over.

-Randy

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
Its not a good idea to rub away the pits as it will not seal. And to fill with epoxy i use JB weld put only just enough to fill the hole in then let it dry fully and sand it flat.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:16:49 PM »
bushings everybody change your bushing,  :grin: the round copper things. :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
pits in forks
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 08:51:37 PM »
I've had good service using a whet stone...a very fine grain one... with LONG strokes in the direxion of fork movement. Do this VERY LIGHTLY, almost NO PRESSURE against the fork tube. Just remove any "lip" the pit may have in this manner, then fine finish with 600 grit cloth backed abrasive soaked in oil... or even jeweler's rouge...  A small depression where the pit is won't usually cause a leak... What really causes leaking is rough edges of pits ... unless they are really big ones...

When slipping the tubes into new seals, have the tubes coated with fork oil.... be sure they are clean of all grit too...

JR
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Repairing fork pits?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:12:24 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
bushings everybody change your bushing,  :grin: the round copper things. :stickpoke:

What he said  :worship:    lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: pits in forks
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:36:06 PM »
Quote from: "JReviere"
I've had good service using a whet stone...a very fine grain one... with LONG strokes in the direxion of fork movement. Do this VERY LIGHTLY, almost NO PRESSURE against the fork tube. Just remove any "lip" the pit may have in this manner, then fine finish with 600 grit cloth backed abrasive soaked in oil... or even jeweler's rouge...  A small depression where the pit is won't usually cause a leak... What really causes leaking is rough edges of pits ... unless they are really big ones...

When slipping the tubes into new seals, have the tubes coated with fork oil.... be sure they are clean of all grit too...

JR

good way to do it mate! :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol