Author Topic: More choke questions  (Read 2666 times)

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
More choke questions
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:57 AM »
Can someone explain to me how on earth a working mechanical choke can only work when the bike is warmed up?  When starting the bike choke or no choke she idles at like 1500.  only after a few minutes of running will the choke increase the engine rpms.  I checked for broken tubes and they seem good, even used carb cleaner to see any rpm changes.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:46:01 PM by andylad »

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: More choke questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
Fuel vaporizes better when hot causing the rpms to incease. The purpose of the the choke is to make a rich fuel mixture to allow the cold engine to start. Once the engine warms up you can easy back off the choke.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
So because the bike is running incredibly rich, its bypassing any choke enguagement?  Looks like I have to fix the richness.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
Are you sure the choke is opening/closing correctly?
If you put the choke on it should race at 4000/5000rpm within seconds of firing.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »
Well, when the bike is warm and idling, when you enguage the choke the rpms race to 5-6K.  When initially starting, like first thing in the morning, or at night when comming home from work, the bike will sputter with no choke, enguage the choke and any sputtering stops and it just cranks.  I can get it to catch without the choke a hell of a lot faster than with the choke.  In fact I havn't been able to get it to fire from a cold start yet with the choke enguaged.  Now the fact that the rpms race when the engine is hot shows that its working right?  Anyone had this issue before?  Even on another bike?  I just put in an o ring kit and set the float heights at about 13mm.  It was at like 16mm before.