Author Topic: USD frontend almost done  (Read 2600 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« on: April 30, 2007, 11:59:19 PM »
Well,Im on the final stretch for my GSXR frontend swap.Should be about another week and Ill be riding it.Pics are to come,but I promise Ill get shots of all the needed custom stuff.I am currently camera-less but I figured Id give yall some specs and insight about whats involved,should anyone else be gathering the parts/nerves for the same job.So far,nothing extraordinary in the fab department,although having a full shop with a good welder and die grinder has been very helpful. (Im the senior mechanic at my buddies equipment rental yard)

The forks are 95GSXR units,stock inside for now.I had to piece everything together since I couldnt find a complete,ready to go setup.Stock 6 piston calipers and 310MM rotors,new Shindy M/C...should be JUST FINE for street! :shock:  Universal 50MM clip-ons with all the B4 switchgear retained.

The stem and tree were drop in,like everyone says.Just replaced the bearings and seals while I was in there.I had to extend the reach of the ignition lock so it would engage the lock tab on the frame.Just used the shank of a hardened bolt and welded it (carefuly!) to the end on the stock lock pin.

I sandwiched the B4 gauge cluster frame between the ignition switch and the upper clamp.To mount it securely with only two bolts,I cut and shaped a 3" strip of 1/8" flat steel to fit into the recessed area where the stock rubber vibration mounts are.I then placed the strip into the recess and welded it from the back and sides.Once smooth and painted,it looked like it came that way stock.Two holes in it for the ignition lock bolts,and the whole thing bolted up clean and straight.All functions work and appear,to be stock.

For steering locks,I just drilled some 5/16" holes in the GSXR lower clamp,between the reinforcing  ribs,and installed some grade 8 Allen head bolts.The bolts are short and stout,and impact the stock lock tab on the B4 head with no issues.Not as clean as welding new tabs to the aluminum lower clamp,but I dont have a TIG welder(yet) to do it "top notch".It looks clean for now,and functions solidly.I can always remove the bolts and TIG some aluminum tabs over the holes later.

All thats left, is to get my wheels back from powdercoat,install my new Dunlop Qualifiers,receive my red GSXR front fender in the mail,order some Rizoma mirrors and slide it all together......and of course, get ya'll some pictures.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:31:38 AM »
:drool2:
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
:clap:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »
It's possible to bolt the gauges to the top triple without making anything for it, two bolt holes align already. Another detail is the speedo cable, it has to be a GSXR one, it fits in the Bandit clock. The Bandit cable does not fit in the GSXR wheel.

Last but not least, it takes about a week to get used to it. lol when I rode the first time with the new fork I was thinking "what the hell, this is shit, I don't know if I want to keep this". But a few days later, and after seeing the curve speed rise, I just love it :motorsmile:

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
I got the GSXR cable with the speedo box,so thats in the bag!

There was nothing on the bottom of the GSXR750 clamp than even came close to lining up with the B4 gauge mount.Its possible you have a different year frontend than me,or maybe an 1100 upper,made for "above the clamp" clip-ons?
 I dont know if year/model changes the bosses cast into the bottom of the upper clamp,but theres definately nothing down there except for the two holes for the ignition switch.And those are about 1.5" closer together than the big middle holes of the B4 gauge mount.

Ive sat on it a few times,and its about the same posture as my FZR1000......except for the tank not fitting my long legs as well.Unfortunately,rearsets arent going to help much,although I might still go for a pair.My knees just cant get back enough to come off the little rubber frame pads,once I relax a bit.....and those damn things hurt after a short while.Might look into some Heli bars,but I think Ill be OK with them where they are.

Oh well,Im doing this all to emphisize the B4's best traits,nimble handling and the short duration fun factor.....at least for someone of my size.Ill rely on the big 1000 for long distance rides and road trips.To me,the Bandit is like a Miata....agile and a little underpowered,but loads of fun when flat-out.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:10 PM »
I have a '92 GSX-R 750 front end.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
USD frontend almost done
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:23:43 AM »
Well,they arent the greatest pics,not sure why this camera sucks so bad,but here are some pics of the particulars of the USD frontend swap.....

Gauge bracket modded to fit under the stock B4 ignition lock....

Stock headlight mounts with some cutting and spacers so they fit to the lower tree clamps.Its not as asthetically pleasing as a billet aluminum aftermarket headlight mount,but it was free and its sturdy.I smoothed out the sides and painted them,looks just fine now.

Steering locks.A little less turning radius than stock,but theres lots of room before hitting the tank,and its only an issue in a small parking lot.....which isnt much of an issue in my book.

Stock mirrors actually look pretty good and give a clearer view than most aftermarkets....I think I might keep them.The front fender is from an 01-03 GSXR and it bolts to the older frontend with just a few little mods....and it was already red to boot!