Author Topic: GSX-R shock installed,and some other questions......  (Read 2467 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
GSX-R shock installed,and some other questions......
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:44:02 AM »
As my first mod to the uber-clean B4 I got last week,I scored a BRAND NEW 06' GSX-R 750 rear shock on Ebay for only 65 bucks!
It installed with no hassels except grinding a little flash off of the B4 aluminum canteliever and relocating the coolant resevoir.The 06's integrated gas resevoir is a different shape than the previous years,and it clears everything with room to spare.I just had to rotate the rectifier a tiny bit to ease access to the shock adjustments.Anyone looking to upgrade, and wanting to stick to the,"newest is best" theory,I highly recommend this shock.

Now a few questions about the B4.....
I have a full,"old school" Yosh system and pipe on the bike,and its not exactly sounding the way I had imagined it.Do the little B4's normally sound choppy and off-beat,almost like a parallel twin?I expected the smooth,whirring whine of a modern-ish 4 banger,but instead the bike sounds like my dad's old CB750 K2......and yes,its running on all 4 cylinders!Im guessing it might be due to the less "responsible" baffling of the 90's era Yosh muffler.....am I wrong? Im probably gonna pitch the Yosh for a highmount modern can,maybe a titanium Hindle Stealth,like my FZR1000 has.

2nd,anyone installed hotter coils and better wires on a B4 in the past?My wires are crispy critters and I had good luck installing the Accel coils and wires on my FZR.I noticed the stock B4 wires are solid metal core,any issues running carbon core/sheilded wires?(CDI issues,ect)The accel coils are kinda big for the B4,anyone used mini Dyna or Nology coils?

3rd,1st gear seems ridiculously low.I know the B4 is lacking torque,but I can pull away pretty smoothly in 2nd gear and actually get some MPH before I have to shift.When taking off in 1st,I feel like a punk flogging a YSR and getting nowhere fast! :roll:
Anyone got a good proven final drive ratio that will make 1st more usable without killing my ability to topout in the higher gears?
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »
Cool
No idea
I run nology
no idea again
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »
Thanks for the input.
I was finally able to do some searching since the board came back up,and it looks like Accel and Nology coils have been used with success.I think Ill stick with Nology since they look smaller,the only thing I wonder about is the notation in my DK catalog about the Nology Profire coils only being made for use with Dyna2000,Compufire,Revtech and Crane HI4 ignitions.....3-ohm/non-CDI is all that should matter,right?

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »
Congats on your new bike.
We went up a tooth on the counter on the little Bandit, mostly to reduce the RPM on the highway. It did stretch first out considerably, not surprising since it was a fairly drastic change. It is slower off the line, but it still pulls okay once the revs get up there. You're probably not going to win the stoplight nationals on a B4 anyway.  :lol:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »
Thats because they are for a harley but they work fine lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
Quote from: "r_outsider"

It is slower off the line, but it still pulls okay once the revs get up there. You're probably not going to win the stoplight nationals on a B4 anyway.  :lol:

I'm cool with that,my FZR1000 can handle the drag duties, I bought the B4 for the twisties,hence the suspension mods Ive already started.
It cant be as big a change as starting off in 2nd,and I can do that easily and comfortably already.Sounds like one tooth on the counter will work.

Thanks for the confirm on the coils,BTW.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:04 PM »
Question about your '06 shock upgrade:

Did you need anything apart from the spring unit? That is, did you need any of the link arms, or any of the other auxiliary parts?

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:42:50 PM »
Nope.
I tried,since replacing steel with aluminum is always a good thing.But I ended up using both the B4 arms and rocker.There is just a little bit of grinding needed to clear the spring pad at the bottom,but everything else went right in.