Author Topic: NO SPARK AFTER REPEATED JUMPSTARTING!!  (Read 2133 times)

Offline mruss86

• New user!
NO SPARK AFTER REPEATED JUMPSTARTING!!
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »
Hi.. new to here and hoping to get some insight. just picked up a 92 bandit 400 in storage for years..all original..8000 miles for 500 bucks :) had spark when I tested it before I bought it..I cleaned the carbs new plugs and battery, however when I was attempting to get it to start before I bought it I jumped it off my car on and off for about 30 mins...sputtering I was confident I could get it running when I got it home.. no such luck. I think I fried something as now I have no spark on all 4 cylinders. tested pickup coil within ohm spec,12 volts at coils with ignition on and 12 volts at the ignitor box...last but not least both coils check out with resistance and having 12 volts of power..........alas still no spark. only one thing right??? Ignitor box? Please find it in your heart to help if you have insight I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this one.. thanks guys................Matt

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
Re: NO SPARK AFTER REPEATED JUMPSTARTING!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:11:42 AM »
jumpstarting and or low voltage can stuff the cdi box.
might need to find one to borrow and try out

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
welcome to forum.  hopefully you will be rideing soon.  Pick up coil/sensor at crank is another possibility.  prolly box.  didnt notice where you are from but mite b someone close by from forum (spare parts).  If anyone reads this post and knows of a guy that repairs these boxes you can send yours to him.  good luck, sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline mruss86

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
I'm in upstate new York, after reading a few forums I pulled the cdi box out and opened it up..fairly easily. Visual inspection of it seems ok..nothing looks fried. This bike actually is for my wife..something a little bigger then her ninja 250. thanks for the quick replies deff appreciate it..keep em coming!

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
I can look see if there is a box on gsf600 mite be same.    sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Did you have the car running when you tried to jump it? If you're going to jumpstart a bike, which is not recommended, in an emergency make sure the donor car or truck engine is off, the alternator on a car or truck is way too much power for most bikes. Try replacing all the fuses even if they look ok, they are only 2 bucks a piece and one may have fried. The best thing to do if a bike has a dead battery is to take the time and charge the battery with a trickle charger. Even just an hour or two on a trickle charger will give you enough juice to get her going. Hopefully it's a fuse not a CDI box.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.