Author Topic: Will not launch!?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline RelicRider

• New user!
Will not launch!?
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:31:49 AM »
Just purchased an 88 model 250 Bandit and everytime I take off it is insanely slow and will not launch into action until eventually it just takes off and almost leaves me behind! What am I doing wrong? Do I need to ride the clutch more on take off or do I need to give the accelerator a bit more of a tweak before i let the clutch out?? Whats the deal??

As you can all probably tell I am an extremem newb and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline RelicRider

• New user!
Will not launch!?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:39:56 AM »
im not even looking to take off at 100 k's an hour I just wanna take off smoothly and evenly without puttering off the line, it makes it pretty hard to pull out into traffic when theres not much of a gap...

lend some knowledge to a newb!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Will not launch!?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:35 AM »
I'm not familiar with the rpm/power characteristics of the 250 engine, but it is likely a little peaky...

so, bring the revs up to the point where the engine pulls properly and then smoothly and slowly release the clutch and add throttle while keeping the rpm's steady. Once the clutch is out, you should be up to speed.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline RelicRider

• New user!
Will not launch!?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:16:41 AM »
thanks for that... thats definitely helping, i'm getting the hang of it a bit more everytime i ride. Its just a matter of practice I think!

Thanks again

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
Revs
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:43:32 PM »
You wanna be seeing 7000rpm on the tacho as your letting the clutch out for nice riding off the lights on a 250 and then change gears at around 9000 - 10000 rpm.
2000 GSF250V

Australia