Author Topic: windscreen reduction  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
windscreen reduction
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:46:06 AM »
I have an old windscreen that came with my B4.  I used it for a long time because of my 70 mile daily round trip commute, but some idjit decided to lean on it one day and it shattered around the mounts  :rant2:... So I'm left with a useless windscreen that i never really liked anyway, and an insane desire to MESS WITH STUFF.  I'm thinking about cutting it down and making a smaller screen using the same mounting hardware it had originally, and painting the inside of it black.  Before I go to cutting and making a general mess of things, does anyone have any "man I wish I would have thought of that before I messed this all up" suggestions for me?  I just thought it would be good to get all that BEFORE I start.  I don't know how long I can restrain myself though... It sure sounds like fun. :trustme: 
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: windscreen reduction
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »
I have an old windscreen that came with my B4.  I used it for a long time because of my 70 mile daily round trip commute, but some idjit decided to lean on it one day and it shattered around the mounts  :rant2:... So I'm left with a useless windscreen that i never really liked anyway, and an insane desire to MESS WITH STUFF.  I'm thinking about cutting it down and making a smaller screen using the same mounting hardware it had originally, and painting the inside of it black.  Before I go to cutting and making a general mess of things, does anyone have any "man I wish I would have thought of that before I messed this all up" suggestions for me?  I just thought it would be good to get all that BEFORE I start.  I don't know how long I can restrain myself though... It sure sounds like fun. :trustme: 

I cant comment on the actual cutting. but the painting part on the inside works. be sure to prep well, and apply in thin even coats, otherwise you get orange pel effect, not noticable from outside, but from inside yes.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
Re: windscreen reduction
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
Just an update on my little windscreen project.  I tried cutting with a dremel cut off wheel, and that worked fine, but got really hot.  On a whim, I replaced the cut off wheel with a standard drill bit and tried that.  I was able to follow lines a little more smoothly, but it made a horrible screeching noise and probably shortened the life of the bit.  At any rate, all that needs to be done now is even it up a bit, smooth out the edges, and apply the paint.  Great, right?   :annoy:no. 
One thing I failed to consider was bracket placement.  The existing brackets are made for a big screen, and so are fairly bulky and spaced wrong for a small screen.  Since this is a "work with what you've got" project to turn something destined for the trash bin into something useable and somewhat aesthetically pleasing, I will see what I can do to whittle the brackets down and find out how to mount them.  Hopefully I can post pics when I'm done or if anything picworthy happens along the way :thumb:
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!