Author Topic: VIN number vs. engine spec... who has info?  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Nick V

• TURBO TYPER!
VIN number vs. engine spec... who has info?
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
Driven by curiosity, I just had a rummage through old contracts-of-sale for all vehicles I've sold in the past.
Looking at the numbers, the VC Bandit I previously owned was a GK75A (engine number prefix K707).
I was always under the impression that it was a 1992 year-model, but now I'm not sure... can anyone shed light on this? (It's not of earth-shattering importance, just a minor curiosity.)
Was this one of the earlier-spec VC engines, with variable valve timing on the inlet cam only?

I'm still learning my way around the site, and there's a huge amount of content I haven't read yet. Is there a sticky or something anywhere here that lists Bandit 400 engine types (and/or year model) by GK series number?
When I buy my next Bandit, it would help hugely in identifying 'at-a-glance' exactly what I'm looking at.

Also, I hear that the newest Bandits finding their way onto the grey market have minor spec changes like a fuel gauge, aluminium swingarm and some cosmetic restyling - but that the variable valves have been dropped in a return to a 'conventional' head.
Is all this true?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: VIN number vs. engine spec... who has info?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Nick if you had Vc on the inlet it would be a second gen engine. The first gen like my M model has Vc on the inlet and exhaust. The exhaust  Vc was dropped as it makes less difference to the power than the inlet and the service costs were crazy.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
Hey Nick V

It may not help a whole bunch fro you in SA, but there is a bunch of data being collected in the "Wiki" section. Have a look and see if that helps.

Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Nick V

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »
Nick if you had Vc on the inlet it would be a second gen engine. The first gen like my M model has Vc on the inlet and exhaust. The exhaust  Vc was dropped as it makes less difference to the power than the inlet and the service costs were crazy.

Hm, that makes sense. Volvo's proprietary VVT system also manipulates the inlet and exhaust, and so does the later-gen BMW VANOS system. But both are more-or-less direct copies of the Honda VTEC and Toyota VVT-i in that they both use the oil-pressurized vane-within-rotor principle. The beauty of that is that you get full V.V.T. benefits - but the VVT system itself is maintenance-free. Standard valve-clearance adjustment procedures apply.  :thumb:

I'll take a look at the site Wiki. Thanks for the info, guys!

Offline Nick V

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
I just had a look at the site Wiki for B4. Just the info I was looking for.  :thanks:

Odd thing, though... the Wiki info mentions that the B4s are redlined at 11 000 or 12 000 RPM... I vividly remember my old GK75A sporting a tachometer redline of 14 500 RPM...

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
I just quickly skimmed the wiki and didn't see anything about the 400's redline (which is 14,000 rpm). But it does say it makes max hp at 12,000 rpm.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Nick V

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:14 AM »
Oops, you're right. :blush:
I wrote that in the wee hours and couldn't have been paying too much attention.

No matter, though... The vast majority of four-stroke engines have a power curve which tails off just shy of the redline. It works well, 'cos revving the engine right to redline through the gears means that an upshift will bring the revs to a point immediately before the power curve peaks.  :thumb: