Author Topic: WOHOO . . . . . . . . . . it arrived today  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Postal

• TURBO TYPER!
WOHOO . . . . . . . . . . it arrived today
« on: August 04, 2005, 05:42:18 PM »
Shock from a 89 GSXR750.  Another part to put on the Bandit.  Anyone know anything about the setup on it.  i.e. compresion, dampening, ect..

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:48:42 PM »
Postal - you can't say Woo Hoo without a dancin' nanner or two!

:banana:  :banana:

If it's in good shape it should be loads better.  I couldn't believe what a difference my B12 shock made.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 04:20:18 AM »
Now this is always in my head Rob, does changing front suspension with fork from bigger bikes make you feel like you're riding a jackhammer? What I always think is they designed with heavier load.  :?:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 08:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "banditcilik"
Now this is always in my head Rob, does changing front suspension with fork from bigger bikes make you feel like you're riding a jackhammer? What I always think is they designed with heavier load.  :?:

I'm not sure.  I've got the stock forks (with Progressive springs).  In fact, I've never ridden it with the stockers - it had the Progressives in when I bought it.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
If you change forks from a different weight bike, then it's not likely to be set up for you and your bandit. I would figure that at least some new springs were in order. I'm going to be putting a GSXR 750 Fork on my bike this winter so I'm figuring on some suspension work too.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 04:17:51 PM »
The newer 600s weigh alot less than the bikes in the nineties. So the weight is very comparable and the adjustment to forks can be made with out spring change. I have a set of 02 gsxr 1000 USD forks I have been too busy to put them but they will be on by the end of this month. I will report back to let you know how they work out. I have been told that the bike will feel a bit heavy.  I will soon find out.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
Check the length on those 02 Gixxer forks. It's my understanding that most of the late model sportbike USD forks are quite a bit shorter than your OEM ones, which is why the FAQ's recommend early USD forks - since they're longer.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 01:27:53 AM »
Red
You are correct, they are shorter. about 3/4" shorter. I am a bit concerned about the difference. the rear shock has lifted the rear, Now the front will also effect that plus the rake. But I will find out when its all done, and I will have physical knowledge to share with this forum. Keep your fingers crossed for me will you? Wish me luck.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
double take
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »
So I went out to take measurements of the two front suspension andhere is what I discovered. The measurement from the outer most part of the tire to the top of  the stock forks is 41'' The measurement of the gsxr forks from the same place is 41" Yes the B4 forks are longer but the tire ( not the rim) , because its widers,rises higher, making up for the difference. I also took the weight of the bike in consideration so I jacked the bike to get a precise measurement. I should have though of this before the purchase. But it looks like it will work out. I will post the procedure when I am done.  if any one is interested.