Author Topic: wondering about reliability  (Read 5660 times)

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
wondering about reliability
« on: August 31, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
hey im new to the board and i was recommened by a guy who is selling the bike im looking at buying this weekend....before i buy i was just curious about the reliability of the bikes and general costs for it as im a college student with not too much money...any helpful hints you could give a beginner rider about this bike would be appreciate too thanks.

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 12:03:34 PM »
I bought my bike in a non-running status and fixed it. Since then the only thing that I've fixed are the front and rear master cylinder which I rebuilt. Pretty easy stuff if you have a few tools and are a little mechanically inclined. If you don't and aren't, then the cost to repair can be fairly high. Other people have had to sort out quite a few problems. You'll need to change oil and oil filter every 3 thousand miles. If you can do the oil change, it's a few dollars. If you can't then it's pretty expensive at the moto shop. I change brake fluid annually.
Since you are buying it locally, you could have a moto shop look it over before purchase for any repairs/upkeep that need to be done. I don't know what it will cost you to do that but I do know that surprises can be very expensive. You can use the info for bargaining if repairs are needed. Don't buy the bike unless you have the money for the safety gear - helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Don't forget to check with your insurance to find out how much that will cost.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »
The bandit 400 is a wonderful bike, but parts are kind of hard to find.
 Unless you're real mechanically inclined, I'm reluctant to recommend one as 'cheap' trransportation.
  Less unique, but widely available, would be a GS500.   The same basic bike has been sold here for a long time.....there are 'scads' of them.
  The Bandit was only sold in the US for a couple of years, longer elsewhere.   Parts can be tough!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:27:30 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
The bandit 400 is a wonderful bike, but parts are kind of hard to find.

Unless you're real mechanically inclined, I'm reluctant to recommend one as 'cheap' trransportation.
  Less unique, but widely available, would be a GS500.   The same basic bike has been sold here for a long time.....there are 'scads' of them.
  The Bandit was only sold in the US for a couple of years, longer elsewhere.   Parts can be tough!

Even getting parts from the dealer is pretty tought. I keep hearing the dreaded word "discontinued". That word is starting to make me think about a newer bike. The gs500 isn't as fun to ride, but it would be a lot more cost effective.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »
I'm going to agree with Pete, when everything is in good order the bike runs well and won't let you down. The problem is, most of the 400s have been parked somewhere for a few year and there are a few parts not in 'good' order, usually carburators and electrics.

Electrics can usually be taken care of by going through each connection, cleaning it, and making sure it's tight. Short of replacing the wires, thats about all you can do.

The carburators are another story altogether. Even when cleaned and in good shape, the carbs can be finicky. I've never been stranded by my bike (well, I did run out of gas once, but that was my fault). Mechanically I don't think your going to find a better bike for the money, but like Pete says, parts are hard to find.

The GS500E is also a really nice little bike, mechanically a lot less complex than the Bandit since it's an Air-Cooled twin. Half the cylinders means half the parts to break, half the carbs to tinker with, and the air cooling means you don't have to worry about the fan, radiator, and hoses.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 02:10:07 PM »
There will be members like JC (Theif and Killer to name a couple) who will probably post that their bikes have rarely, if ever, missed a beat but...

Most of these things have changed hands a bunch of times, been left to sit for months/years, been stored outside or mistreated in some other way.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my B4 but I would not put "reliability" high on it's list of general attributes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

(Oh - apologies to the member whose sale we are screwing up!!)
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 06:43:34 PM »
I'd have to agree with most everyone here.  The B4 would not be a bike I would buy for "cheap transportation" or as my only form of transportation and I am pretty mechanically inclined.   One if the biggest problems is that if something does break and you can actually still order the part, it takes forever to get in.  At minimum it will take a week to get the part, but usually two or three.   That's what drives me nutz about the B4.  Plus when you can't substitute a part, the dealer prices are high for replacements.

For cheap, reliable, low-maintenance first streetbike, I'd look at these:
Ninja 250, Ninja 500, GS500, SecaII (XJ600).

If you've got at least a years street riding experience, you can add a few others to the list...  Bandit 600 comes to mind (the older models 99 & older) can be had for absolutely fantastic prices as well as the SV650 (though not quite the bargain basement pricing of the B6).
-Brent

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 08:36:03 PM »
I'd go ahead and put the B6 & SV650 in the same class as the Seca II.
And their reliability and parts availability is WAY better than the B4.

As mentioned, screaming good deals can be had on the 99 & older B6!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 09:44:01 PM »
I would have to agree with Rob, It depends on the life the bike has had. Mine has always been kept in the garage, maintained to death. My wife said I take better care of it than her   LMAO. I think most of the problems that they have are due to lack of maintainance, always keep out in the weather. Corrosion seems to be the great killer weather its in the ignition module, the voltage regulator/rectifier, Carbs.
As for parts there is nothing that can't be found on ebay, there are enough part on there that one could build a bike from scratch if one wanted too  :beers:

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 10:51:23 PM »
well im thinking im going to end up buying this bike from teh guy on saturday morning if everything is up to the condition that he claims it is....is there any recommendation for a first time rider about that bike that i should look out for?   i'm somewhat mechanically inclined so simple maitnence and adjustment shouldnt be a problem....this bike looks to be in SUPERB shape from all teh pictures ive seen.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »
Are you at kent state University? If so ill take care of any probs you got with the bike bro! later
jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 12:08:12 AM »
First time rider?
  Have you taken an MSF course?  Have you riden any bike?

Just wondering.....if you don't have much, or any experience on motorcycles, this really adds a new wrinkle, that is kind of related to the main problem.  (Parts!)

It's real common for new riders to have at least minor mishaps on bikes.
  Even dropping the bike at a stoplight, or having it tip over when parked, can cost hundreds of dollars.   With an obscure bike the Bandit 400, body parts will be tough to come by.
  Nobody wants to scare you away from bikes.   We're being honest about the 400.    Even if the bike you're looking at is in perfect shape, you're still buying a 'project' bike.

We'd hate to see you buy the bike, then a few weeks later get back on the board....looking for parts, or with a problem.
  A lot of people buy these, pour time and money into them, and them dump them, unsatisfied.

Seriously, if you haven't taken an MSF course, it's worth a shot.
 Learn some good habits, and skills, and practice on somebody elses bike!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 01:10:35 AM »
ive ridden dirt bikes before and have driven a friends r6 at slower speeds to get a handle on it again....i will be taking a MSF course when they are open again in the spring.  I do apprecaite all teh insight ive gotten from you guys so far though thanks....its nice to get another opinion for a group of guys so friendly and quick to respond.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 11:12:05 AM »
>> Even dropping the bike at a stoplight, or having it tip over when parked, can cost hundreds of dollars.<<

if you don't break the fall, sure. I've dropped my '400 3 times now, but I broke it's fall everytime (at the expense of my left wrist). Nothing happened to the bike, however.

The '400 seems to love to fall (when stopped), especially on it's left side, for some reason. If I'm stopped on a slight incline turned left, WHOA! I guess it's just the nature of the frame design/rake/caster. That high tank doesn't help either. Definitely high center of gravity on this bike.

The frame design/rake/caster does give the bike nice turning ability, however. The '400 just falls into turns. I'm sometimes wondering if I'm even steering the damnned thing! I can see why people like to take this bike to the track.

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 11:13:29 AM »
My 250 revs higher than the 400's and is very reliable, stonking engine. But, as said by others, parts are a problem to source