Author Topic: Wont start  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« on: August 13, 2006, 11:10:13 PM »
Couple of questions guys hope you can bear with me. Cant seem to start my bike but when it starts I have no trouble of re starting it again for almost 4-6 hrs after using it, but when it cools down or the next day not starting again. What seems to be the problem and what could be the possible fix to this dilemna. Coul it be the cdi/ igniter? And if ever I turn on the headlight the engine seems missing at idle & low rpm. I have to twist the throttle more to eliminate the missing. And I think I have a problem with my tail & brake light. Just put a bulb then upon a turn of the key in ignition the park & brake lights up. Does this have a direct relation of having the bike hard starting? Need your help guys.

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
Anybody? Anybody wants to answer to my query?

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
Wont start
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
Does the engine turn at a normal speed during startup or does it turn slowly.  If slowly I would suspect the charging system.  If not then start simple and check your choke out.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »
The engine turns normally, I do have sparks on 4 high tension wires., do have fuel also reaching the engine. It does seems to be flooding while cranking thereby the mixture cant be ignited by the plugs. Im going crazy over this bike.

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
Anybody? Anybody home?

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Wont start
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:24:55 PM »
Hey Dragon,
So what happened with your igniter box? Did you get an original replacement or did your mechanic get it working with the Yamaha one, or what?
It sounds like you may have multiple problems going on here, all of which will have to be addressed.
The first thing that jumps out at me is that turning your headlight on and off should not affect your idle. When you have the bike running, put a voltmeter across your battery and measure the voltage at idle and at 5000 or 6000 RPM. Charging system problems can cause strange problems.
If your choke (enrichener) is not working, it will be very hard to start cold, as Jeepskate said. Try taking off the seat and covering up most of the air intake with a rag while you try to start it cold. This will simulate the effect of the choke. If the bike starts to run, you need to quickly remove the rag or you will starve it for air and it will stall. Try these things and let us know what you find.
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:24:46 PM »
Thanks Steve for the input. My mechanic doesnt seem to be interested to work ont he bike after putting the cdi from a Yamaha and after getting my money. Well the bike hasnt been used lately and I believe that it will not work. Ive talked to someone here in PI that I can use the igniter from a Bandit 400 into the the 250. How true is it? Here in the Philippines I believe that I could start a bike without using the choke coz it quite hot here even on early mornings. BTW my wife is flying there to work in scarborough, is it near your place? I was wondering if she could get some parts for my bandit there in Canada.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Wont start
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 04:43:01 AM »
Doubt you can get B250 parts in Canada and certainly NOT in the US. I know these were never brought into the States and I doubt Canada got them either. The B250 was primarily a Japanese market bike, but I know it was exported to some Southeast Asian countries and Australia & the UK get them through gray-market importers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
Sad to hear that. But am still hoping.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Wont start
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:26:14 AM »
Sorry, but Paul is correct, the 250 was never imported to Canada, and we only got the 400 from 91 - 93, just like the US.
As for the 400 igniter working in the 250, I don't have a clue, but if you can find the part number for yours, I can tell you if it is the same as my 400.
My next question is, did the bike ever work properly after the installation of the Yamaha igniter? If the problem developed over time, you can troubleshoot it, but if it never ran properly with the Yamaha part I would say replace it or you will just be wasting your time looking for other problems.
Scarborough is about 2-3 hours away from where I live. (known locally as Scar-beria).
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Wont start
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »
Well better start looking for a 400 here, as of the bike guees Ill have to remove the igniter and look for a proper one for the 250. We'll be working on the bike thiscomin saturday. Ill keep you posted guys.

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
Starting
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »
If I were you I would not use the choke at all in those warm/hot conditions, I live in a similar temperature zone and always just step on an start the bike and hit the road no problem.
2000 GSF250V

Australia