Author Topic: Would a 400 Bandit make a good track day bike?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Would a 400 Bandit make a good track day bike?
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:22:27 AM »
There's a very low mileage '92 model for sale not too far away from me. I've been looking for a mid-sized bike to do occasional track days on and to just play around on in the mountains and hill country. I really want an SV650, but I saw the Bandit and always thought it would be a fun bike to ride in the twisties. But, I was wondering how good of a track day bike it would be with all the 100+ hp bikes running around on the track. I know it will hold it's own in the corners, but would there be a great speed differential on the straights that would cause concern? I have yet to do a track day so I really don't know how much of problem it would be.
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Yep, I'd say so.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:08:12 AM »
GSXR400's race in the same class as V-twin 650's here (SV650's), although neither of them are 100hp+ monsters.

As far as I know, the GSXR400 is more or less the same engine as the bandit 400, barring a few 'upgrade' parts that GSXR400racer will sell you (cams, crank, carbs, swingarm).

I've taken mine on the track once, and will be doing so again in a couple of weeks. I thought it was great. They tip into the corners real easy, and I got a top speed of about 180-190 on the back straight (which for me at this stage is about as fast as I want to go).

The only minor problems I had were changing down gears after heavy braking, with the engine then revving too low for the gear I was in - tended to get minor lockup and tail wiggle. If I can learn to throttle blip that'll probably go away.

My long term plan is to rebuild a gsxr400 engine for the frame, and keep the bandit as a track day only bike. I'll then upgrade my road bike, cos the bandit is too much fun to get rid of.

One of the reasons I'd be doing that is because the bandit is just a wee bit too small for me - I get bad leg cramps after more than a couple of hours riding. The SV650 is a bit bigger.

The only other thing you might want to consider is that parts for the SV are far easier to come by.

So, yeah. I think they're worthwhile.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:21:11 AM »
PLUS 1 :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »
Craig, I did several track days on my B4 before I got rid of it.  Liter bikes are going to eat you up on longer straights.  I never considered the differential to be dangerous or anything.  It's just frustrating to work hard getting around someone through tighter sections to have them easily scream back by you.  All in all, I had a blast on it at the track.  As stated above, you DO spend a lot of time changing gears.  The torquier SV is better in that particular regard.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping some of you track day veterens and racers would reply.  :grin: That eases my mind. Now I just need to see if the guy selling the bike will come down a bit on the price, if he ever calls or returns my e-mail.
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Craig, I did several track days on my B4 before I got rid of it.  Liter bikes are going to eat you up on longer straights.  I never considered the differential to be dangerous or anything.  It's just frustrating to work hard getting around someone through tighter sections to have them easily scream back by you.  All in all, I had a blast on it at the track.  As stated above, you DO spend a lot of time changing gears.  The torquier SV is better in that particular regard.

Of course, it had to piss the liter bike guys off to no end that a 400(and an older one at that)got around them at all :lol:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:28:07 PM »
Quote from: "r_outsider"
Quote from: "PitterB4"

Of course, it had to piss the liter bike guys off to no end that a 400(and an older one at that)got around them at all :lol:

Oh yeah... that WAS fun!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:33 PM »
I think its a diamond in the rough and with the right equipment it can be a weapon in the 400 class.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:03:44 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
I think its a diamond in the rough and with the right equipment it can be a weapon in the 400 class.

I figured it would do well in the 400 class with some upgrades, but my main concern was doing open track days along side larger, much more powerful, modern machinery.

----------------------------

Again, thanks for all the replies! However, the seller never has responded to my e-mail and didn't leave any other contact info. Pity, the ad said that the bike only has 520 miles on it and is in like new condition. Instead, I ended up taking the plunge while pissing my wife off and bought an '05 SV650 that I will be picking up tomorrow.  :grin:
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:05:11 AM »
lol good deal , you should have motarded your klr 650 that would've been a hoot.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 05:48:24 AM »
How are the open track days organised in the US?

Over here, we generally get split into groups by (percieved) ability, not necessarily bike size.

All the novices go in the slow group. The non-novices sort themselves out in the middle groups (slow/medium, medium/fast). All the real fast guys go in the 'fast' group.

But as the fast group is normally guys who club race, or who have that skill level, they're used to playing rough - e.g. being overtaken at speed on the inside at touching distance. So it doesn't really matter what they're on. Litre bikes mix it up with SV650's, in-line 600's, and race 400's.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
its the same here pretty much brother if you have a road race license you got to the top of the food chain