Author Topic: Xenon light  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Xenon light
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:19:25 PM »
Unpacking

The ballasts

Cables

Light :grin:

Tomorrow I'll clean the headlight and make some better daylight pictures.

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
Xenon light
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:25:38 PM »
Looks good. It's illegal for us to put HID systems on anything that didn't come from the factory with it installed. Mostly because of idiots that didn't know what they were doing putting HID systmes in cars that shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Xenon light
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:25:05 PM »
Sooo...  that headlight is Certainly not what my B4 came with, nor is it anything I've seen on any other naked bike (most using 6" round, pretty common stuff).  What it is from?  Do you have a seperate high and low bulb?

Enquiring minds and all...   :beers:
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Xenon light
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »
IIRC, It's from a Honda Hornet.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Xenon light
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »
The headlight is from a Honda Hornet 600 >2003. As far as I know the only single round headlight with two sepperate reflectors for high and low beam. I think I've seen some unknown Italian bike with a similar design but there are probably only 300 of those made so that's not an option.

Here are some more pics, first the headlight with the two xenon bulbs.

Low beam

High beam

Different angle

Here's what the cyclists see :monkeymoon:

I have changed my electrical circuit so both low and high beams are on when I switch to high beam, by using two relays. If it's set to low beam it runs mostly through the original circuit. I've used this with the original H11 bulbs and it worked fine, only thing I had to change when installing the xenon bulbs were the connectors for the bulbs and changinge the fuses from 5A to 7.5A because the xenon bulbs use about 6A a piece when starting up (5 seconds) and then go back to about 3.5A.

It's probably illegal in The Netherlands as well, but so are open end can's. As long as you don't over-do it the police won't make any problems. Unless they haven't reached their quota yet :duh:

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Xenon light
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »
Is anyone else having problems seeing those photos? I just get the 'broken link' graphic.