Author Topic: Bandit Gear Indicator  (Read 44425 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 02:21:20 PM »
Marc, 99er, the guy who posted the message on this project, doesn't get on the board frequently.   You could try to email him. :wink:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Phil1200s

• New user!
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 05:21:16 PM »
Pete, don't hesitate to delete my last post as the picture is way too large... I'll repost with something acceptable! Sorry!
Silver B12 '04

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »
If you're a member over at Maximum-Suzuki, there's a thread over there where a guy modified his existing switch to trigger just a 5th gear light (so he'd quit looking for 6th). In that thread he explains cleaning out the switch and making a contact pin. You may find that info helpful.

Click here for the M-S thread
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 11:20:57 PM »
Hi guy,
99er here. My stinking job keeps me far away from the PC nowadays so sorry for the delay in responding. Write me!
I never had a chance to look into the housing on the 2001+ Bandits. They can't be all that different from a basic operations perspective. I would expect that Suzuki modified the switch and electronics but kept the engine the same. Why make any significant change to a proven, dated engine when you can modify a cheap switch? If that holds true, you're in luck.
The older switch simply acts as a grounding point for a neutral bulb. Now that you've bought the better switch, install it and then place an ohmeter on each pin for each gear. It should go to "0" ohms when you select the proper gear. You can use a test light as well. Make absolutely sure that the rear wheel is elevated and turned in the forward direction to its stop after each gear shift to set the trans shaft or you'll become very frustrated wen the switch doesn't set - been there.
After this, and you may just be fine, you'll need to determine the purpose for the modified switch in the later models to make sure the bike will run normally. Do you have a schematic?.
I'm curious to see how it pans out. Let me know.
Now, if you're near Atlanta, stop by and we'll mod that B12 together!
Marc/Atlanta GA

Offline jomed

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.clubbandit-philippines.tk
Re: Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:12 AM »
Quote from: "99er"
OK, Pete asked me to repost this one.

I built a gear indicator when I was bored a few years ago and it's still going strong on the B12. It applies to the 600 and 1200 as the old GS switch fits both models and has the capability for 6 gears. My Gen I LEDs are directly beneath the fuel gauge.

By the way, you can do this simply with just diodes if you don't mind a small difference in light intensity from gear to gear.

Contact me with questions. Happy to help you if I can. Good luck!

http://home.comcast.net/~gsf1299/BanditGear/

Marc/Douglasville GA
'99 B12
mods...

wow thats great sir very interesting!
Suzuki banditV 400cc

Club Bandit Philippines
Motorcycle Philippines Federation
Bandit Alley member #1334

http://banditalley.com
http://clubbandit.proboards45.com
www.motorcyclephilippines.com

Offline nefton

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.magneticdrainplug.com
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 09:30:01 PM »
Does anyone know if the gear switch will work on a 2002 bandit 1200?
www.magneticdrainplug.com
The best drain plug on earth!!!

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 08:34:47 AM »
I have my '99 in pieces in the basement and a 2001 engine in pieces in the garage. If you have the time, once I get the 01 back in place, I can install my switch and test it.
Marc

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 10:45:38 AM »
Quote from: "nefton"
Does anyone know if the gear switch will work on a 2002 bandit 1200?

I see no reason why not. AFAIK, all the B12's are the same in regards to this switch.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 04:05:57 PM »
I checked the fiche and noticed that the shifter drum is the same part number for the GenII Bandits as for the GenIs. There should be no fitment problems on later machines. One would need to check on the 2001 Bandits what gears are included in the new circuitry and then consider those connections for the new switch. Also, make sure you don't mount the switch backwards. It's not that difficult a mistake to make.
Marc

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
On the LED gear readout post
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »
If anyone is still looking at this post, I have a quick question. A couple of my old GS's had numbered LED gear readouts. Is it possible to salvage the units off a wreck and incorporate it into a new Bandit? I had my old 750 gauges apart and it was a removable unit. Kinda wished the 1200 Bandit had a sixth gear as I always seem to be searching for just one more.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Gear Indicator
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
That's a good question. The only GS display I remember used regular bulbs to identify each gear. If the LED readout is standalone, there should be little reason why it would not work. I did originally build mine using a 7 segment display but couldn't locate an appropriate place on the B12 where it would look "factory".
The only option I came up with was to buy the light cluster for the antilock brake B12 of 1997. That display combined the left/right turn signal lights into one display and used the now spare spot for an antilock trouble light. A 7 seg would fit in there rather nicely. I'm sure that Suzuki or Ron Ayers still sells the parts.
Marc