Author Topic: 2G "S" headlamp upgrade  (Read 73231 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »
The tabs that fit the bulb in the socket are different.

If you're asking because you want to run high beams in both, the answer is yes, it can be done. You just have to do a little more Dremel work. However, I don't want to blind folks at night, so I went with a hi and a lo bulb.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2006, 12:27:40 PM »
I guess I should be more specific...

I'd like to run the HIR low beam 9012 bulbs on both sides, and leave the switch on 'high beam' (day & night) so both lights are on, and the left & right side look the same.  (And I don't get the "You have a headlight out" comment all the time!)

But if the internals of the headlight unit is different, it might not look the same.  I thought I read that there is an additional deflector or something inside the right side of the headlight unit.  (?)

I think two 9012 bulbs would give me plenty of light at night - and I'd be able to forego having a high beam at all.

Whatcha think?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2006, 12:38:45 PM »
There's only one deflector in each projector housing, but they are shaped differently. Yes, you could run two lows just as easily as two highs.

During the day, I run the highbeams on all the time to be more visable and to avoid the 'you have a headlight out' comments. Oddly enough, no one has ever approached me at night and told me of a headlight being out when just the low beam is on...

Just be glad you don't have a Ducati ST... they only illuminate one bulb on lo or hi.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »
Cool... now all I have to do is figure out how to make a low-beam bulb fit in the high beam socket.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2006, 05:55:53 PM »
You just dremel the tabs to match the socket.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline FairWeather

• Board Regular!
    • http://christenberry.com
Thanks for the GREAT write up on these lights
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2006, 01:51:45 AM »
Threads like this are what make forums like this SO amazing. Thanks for the time and energy to share this. I'll start with the wiring kit and move from there. :thanks:
Perry
2002 Bandit 1200S

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2006, 08:31:49 AM »
Quote from: Red01
You just dremel the tabs to match the socket.

No workee.  It seems that the bulb base diameter on the low beam is too big to fit into the high beam slot.   :sad:

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »
Hey Everyone:

Just a little update here on my theory that Suzuki supplied the 2001 - 2005 B-6 & 12's with undersized wiring. I was able to look at a new 2006 B-12 here today and the headlight bulb wiring is at least double the size of my 2002's at the headlight bulb. I wonder why Suzuki made the change?

After seeing this I would strongly recomend that if your thinking of doing anything to your headlights, look at a new harness & relays 1st.

Here was a photo of my B-12 with the new Hella unit in place with the stock harness. (These are both low beam only pictures)

Here was a photo with the new Hella unit in place with the new wiring harness.

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2006, 01:35:43 AM »
"Bazza" Hey Everyone:

Just a little update here on my theory that Suzuki supplied the 2001 - 2005 B-6 & 12's with undersized wiring. I was able to look at a new 2006 B-12 here today and the headlight bulb wiring is at least double the size of my 2002's at the headlight bulb. I wonder why Suzuki made the change?

After seeing this I would strongly recomend that if your thinking of doing anything to your headlights, look at a new harness & relays 1st.

HI BAZZA,

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THE HEADLIGHTS.....

I KNOW THAT YOU SAID THAT HELLA DOES NOT MAKE AN AFFORDABLE DUAL BEAM UNIT (HIGH/LOW BEAM TOGETHER).....BUT HAVE YOU SEEN OR HEARD OF ANYONE MODIFYING THE ORIGINAL LIGHT TO ACCEPT A DUAL FILAMENT BULB?....

I WANTED TO INSTALL THE HELLA UNITS IN MY BIKE, BUT I WANTED TO USE A DUAL BEAM UNIT, SINCE I DON'T LIKE THE ONE-EYED-BANDIT LOOK, AND I PREFER NOT TO HIGH BEAM EVERYONE ON THE ROAD.....

I WAS ALSO THINKING OF TAKING A HEADLIGHT FROM A KAWASAKI NINJA, THAT HAS DUAL HIGH AND LOW BEAM BULBS IN IT, AND CUT THE BULB MOUNT OUT AND ATTACH IT TO MY BANDIT HEADLIGHT HOUSING.....ANY THOUGHTS?....

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE WIRING AND RELAYS, I WILL BE ORDERING THEM IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.....

I WILL ALSO BE REMOVING MY DIFFUSERS AFTER I MAKE A DECISION ON WHICH HEADLIGHT MODIFICATION I WANT TO DO.....

THANKS AGAIN.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
WOW let there be light!
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2006, 11:46:49 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys!  Bazza,  :beers:  for bringing the wiring issue to light (sorry had to say it)!

Friday was a rainy day home for me so, I got some quality garage time in.
So, NO MORE lighting issues here.
-   Opened up the light housing to remove the blockers.
-   Cleaned the plastic dust created from the vibrating blockers.
-   Replaced stock bulbs with Silverstar bulbs. Didn't like the idea of waiting for the 9011/9012 at twice the price. I can get replacement Silverstars at any local parts store.
-  Replaced sockets, and ran 14g wires (a little overkill but I had it) back to the fusebox. I stopped at the fusebox because the exsiting wire size increases. I replaced the sockets because they were only $2 each and it releaved the need to pull the wiring from the stock ones. I put slotted plugs on the end of the socket wires at the same place as the stock wire harness (just in case). Oh and an in-line splicer, just before in first harness conector for the high beam indicator lamp (yellow wire coming from the speedo group harness).
With this done the aux lights I put in last year and the year before (always make sure replacement bulbs are locally availaible   :duh: ) are not really needed. They really only add a little to side lighting.

WOW!! NO MORE CANDLE LIGHT RIDES!
P.S. 1200S 2003, no relays, just switches.
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »
I ordered a Toshiba 9012  lo-beam bulb and put it in last week.  No other modifications.  

I would definitely say it's worth the investment.

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2006, 07:35:18 AM »
I ordered the Toshiba 9011 and 9012 bulbs last month.  Well I finally did a night right last night.  

I am pleased with the light output of the high beam .  I can blast light way out there so as to see quite well.  I like the high beam a lot.

But I am disappointed in the low beam performance.  It is OK, especially in a straight line, but not sufficient for night time curvy road type of riding.  The cut off just seems too short on the should side of the road.

Is this the fault of the low beam blocker?  

If I were to remove it would I get a longer throw down the shoulder of the road?  

Would this modification bother oncoming drivers?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2006, 12:18:49 PM »
cb400bill: Is this the fault of the low beam blocker?  

If I were to remove it would I get a longer throw down the shoulder of the road?  

Would this modification bother oncoming drivers?

Yes, it's because of the blocker. You will get a full beam with much better lighting to the side with it out.

Both my blockers are out and no one has flashed me yet on low beam.
In the daytime, I ride with the high beam on, and I did notice a driver readjust his mirror when I pulled up behind him once. I'm not sure though if he was readjusting because of me though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2006, 04:13:42 AM »
Quote from: GETFURIOUS
"Bazza" Hey Everyone:

HI BAZZA,

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THE HEADLIGHTS.....

I KNOW THAT YOU SAID THAT HELLA DOES NOT MAKE AN AFFORDABLE DUAL BEAM UNIT (HIGH/LOW BEAM TOGETHER).....BUT HAVE YOU SEEN OR HEARD OF ANYONE MODIFYING THE ORIGINAL LIGHT TO ACCEPT A DUAL FILAMENT BULB?....

I WANTED TO INSTALL THE HELLA UNITS IN MY BIKE, BUT I WANTED TO USE A DUAL BEAM UNIT, SINCE I DON'T LIKE THE ONE-EYED-BANDIT LOOK, AND I PREFER NOT TO HIGH BEAM EVERYONE ON THE ROAD.....

I WAS ALSO THINKING OF TAKING A HEADLIGHT FROM A KAWASAKI NINJA, THAT HAS DUAL HIGH AND LOW BEAM BULBS IN IT, AND CUT THE BULB MOUNT OUT AND ATTACH IT TO MY BANDIT HEADLIGHT HOUSING.....ANY THOUGHTS?....

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE WIRING AND RELAYS, I WILL BE ORDERING THEM IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.....

I WILL ALSO BE REMOVING MY DIFFUSERS AFTER I MAKE A DECISION ON WHICH HEADLIGHT MODIFICATION I WANT TO DO.....

THANKS AGAIN.....

Hey Getfurious:

Believe me, I inquired about doing a dual fillament conversion for both bulbs on the Bandit and have found no way of doing this properly using the stock headlight pots, as both of those are either focused for low or high beam. Installing dual fillament bulbs in those will still give you an un-ballanced look due to the lenses.

The only option is the HID units from hella which are very expensive.

So far I have not found any dual projector type units that would fit easilly into the Bandit other than the HID Hella's, which will run you over a thousand bucks.

The Bandit's stock headlight pod will not accept much alteration for other units. If you ever get it apart, you will see what I mean.

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Running two high beams?
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:22 AM »
Hi all,

Did anyone one ever try runing two high beams and not have problems with on coming traffic? I currenty just keep my stock high beams on all the time (even at night) and in a year and a half of riding I have never had any vehicle flash it's lights at me. I ride in the Orange County and Los Angeles areas almost exclusvelly on the freeways.

I am going to just order the bulbs and not do the blocker removel procedure or wiring upgrade.

Thanks for any info.

Lucas