Author Topic: Aftermarket Jet Kits and Exhaust options  (Read 21033 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Aftermarket Jet Kits and Exhaust options
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:14:37 PM »
The following lists links to aftermarket Jet kits, see the links for recommended exhaust options and Dyno results:[/u][/i]
with links to jet kit install experiences and instructions by B12 riders

Holeshot's website[/u]: http://www.holeshot.com
Dale's Holeshot Jet kit and exhaust options with dyno results: click here http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/#ej

:) Thanks to Bill, at his site http://www.bladesbandit.com
Detailed instructions on installing a Stage 2 Holeshot jet kit on a 2001 and newer (2G) Bandit 1200:
click here http://www.bladesbandit.com/stage2.htm

Ivan's Performance Products website[/u]: http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com
Ivan's jet kit and Yosh exhaust options with dyno results:
click here http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/bandit1200.htm

Ivan's jet kit install (01 B12) with pics by Bandit Alley member B12Teuton:
click here http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=92

Yoshimura exhaust systems website[/u]: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com  
Dynographs: click here http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/dyno.asp

Muzzy exhaust systems website catalog[/u]:  http://www.muzzys.com/catalog/sportbike_exs.html  

For your specific tuning needs, Dale and Ivan have excellent customer service and will talk to you in person at their phone #'s (listed on their individual websites).[/i]  

If you would like to post a question on this BBS concerning jet kit and exhaust options/opinions, please do so in the Bandit 1200 Performance Forum:[/i]
click here http://forums.banditalley.net/viewforum.php?f=27
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Holeshot jet kit threads
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:15:17 PM »
Just out of curiousity, who's currently using Dales Stage-2 jet-kit for a 1200?

Which full exhaust or slip-on setup are you using with it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B12MHudson
(4/12/03 7:01 am)
Re: Holeshot Stage-2 Jet Kit, who's got one?

Black Naked 01 B12
HS SO and elbow
HS stage 2 kit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(4/12/03 10:12 am)
Re: Holeshot Stage-2 Jet Kit, who's got one?

Red 2001 1200 "S" model
Holeshot 17" Street S/O (w/elbow, of course)
Holeshot Stage II jet kit (w/advancer)

Paul W
cheekeebandito
(4/12/03 10:13 am)
 Dale's Stage 2

99B12 with Stage 2 and Hindle Stainless full system with Dale's ignition advancer.... equals awesome power and even better fuel economy. I'm going to install Dale's 11:1 J&E pistons and a Megacycle intake cam and stock Gsxr 1100 exhaust cam within the next month or so......
cheers...Les
Bandit600X2
(4/13/03 4:53 pm)
Re: Dale's Stage 2

I am not using it at the time, but I do own one. Along with many other fine Holeshot products.
Bill
01 Bandit 600X2
billj@dc.rr.com
www.ironcreek.net/~bill
(Edit - Bill has a 1216 kit and smoothbore carbs)
PeteSC
(4/13/03 6:56 pm)

It does seem MUCH more viable on the newer Bandits.....since you can retain the side covers, and keep them out of the weather a bit.
Red01SuziB12S
(4/14/03 9:22 am)

It is my understanding that a Stage II on a 1G B12 doesn't have any troubles with weather (rain) - you just have to be more careful when washing the bike with a hose - and they make a set of covers to put over the K&N's when you do that if you think you can't control yourself with the hose.

Paul W
chevsuz12
(4/14/03 1:07 pm)
stage 2

I am running Dale's Stage 2 with D&D Slip on. Loud as hell, and just as powerful. Still have some minor tuning issues down low, but I am confident I will tune it out.
Griff
(4/14/03 9:56 pm)
Re: stage 2

Pete,
Probably the best thing to do if your worrying about pod-filter exposure, is to get a set of Outerwears:

outerwearsracing.com/frames.htm

I used these extensively when I raced XC, in the worst conditions you can possibly imagine (mud, swampy water, massive dust clouds, you name it), and they do an awesome job of protecting K&N's. A street bike will never see the same harsh conditions as off-road, so theyll probably last forever. They repell water, and keep larger particulate matter from clinging to the filters...... with no measurable restriction in airflow. Theyre only about $20-25 a set for the K&N RU2922 pods.......

I highly recommend them....
Griff
(4/20/03 6:27 pm)
Re: stage 2

cheekeebandito, that Hindle system youre running, is it 4-1, or 4-2-1?

Do you remember what jetting settings you ended up with?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Ivan's Jet kit threads
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:16:02 PM »
Ivan's Jet kit - installed
hotdog
Ivan's Jet kit - installed

I ordered my kit from Ivan last tuesday, got it by priority mail on friday. Installed on sat. I'm impressed. The kit came in a plastic organizer tray, good instructions, new needles, mains, etc,. Ivan's base settings work good! (more later).

I made a change to his suggestions, I added the dreaded K&N filter!!! After talking with him on Tues, I altered his airbox mods slightly.

My test ride was fun!!! The bike pulls strong, seems to rev like a RD-400, and starts readily.

I did not dyno it, don't have an EGA. I do know what I like though, and this is great!

I tried this kit coming from a "stage 1 kit". Significant improvement. Ivan took the time to ask me about my bike when I ordered, today I called to let him know that I got the kit promptly (in spite of snow in NY), but he was not there so I left a message. He returned my call to ask about my experience with the installation and how I was doing after the install. His base settings rock on my bike (yosh slip on, pair blocked off, sea level).

If you don't have your 2nd gen bandit jetted to your satisfaction $50.00 and a phone call will fix you right up, until the end of the month. Check

www.ivansperformanceprodu...it1200.htm

No guys, no affiliation. Just my experience. The best $50 I've spent on the bike in a while (and at full price, the same!).

Steve

mack82097
(2/24/03 11:14 pm)
Re: Ivan's Jet kit - installed

Does Ivan have kits for the first gen bandit?

hotdog
(2/25/03 9:55 pm)
don't know?

I guess the best thing is to call and find out, check the link I posted for Ivan's site.

You could also check www.holeshot.com/ Dale carries two jet kits for your bike.

As far as I can tell they are both good guys, have good products, and will support their customers well.

Steve

Dinger97
(2/25/03 10:31 pm)
jet kit

Glad to see the kit worked for you. I have the holeshot stage II w/pods and love it because the air box is gone. Over at Max-Suk, there was a little rift with Ivan that caused some ill-feelings. Things were said that shouldn't have been said, but life goes on. Both kits seem to be well thought out and both companies seem to be very helpful with help. I think Holeshot has alot more to offer with products, but Ivan seems to be a good tuner and sticks with that. Wish more guys would try Ivans kits because competition can be a good thing

Dinger97
(2/26/03 9:53 pm)
jet kits

I spoke with Ivan awhile back once and had no reason not to do business with him (a very likable person he seemed at the time), yet I also read all the stuff that went on at Maz-Suk and would kind of agree he said things that shouldn't have been said. With that said, I still chose to go the Holeshot way and am very happy!!!
I never have spoken to Dale, but consider him to be a very good person to trust and do business with. I've bought alot of stuff from him and have also used his site to find brand name parts I want, then research prices and find better prices on some things. I think Max-Suk site is more pro for Holeshot and than any other business, but still gives the opportunity to anyone to come in. That's a kick arse site!!! Not stepping on any toes or trying to start anything, just my two cents. As said before, competition is good for all if playing fairly

FJRFred
(2/26/03 10:19 pm)
Re: jet kit

Hey fellas, I've got to weigh in here. I just purchased Ivan's jet kit for the Wifey's 2002 B12S. I spoke with Ivan extensively about the kit, and he gave me specific pointers to watch for. He could NOT have been more helpful or professional. And right now, the price is KILLER...only $50 till March 1st, then it goes back to the regular price of $130.

I feel secure in ordering his jet kits......I bought one for my ZRX 1200 last year. It came with easy-to-follow instructions, and when I had a problem with the airbox, a phone call to Ivan helped straighten it out. I modified the airbox as per his recommendations, and set up the carbs just as the instructions stated (also added an Ak pipe)....the REX responded with 127.1 RWHP, and 85.3 ft. lbs. of torque. The sniffer had the air/fuel mixture (after the transition to the main jets) right on the money. I never had to mess with the settings...I'm still running them today, and the REX still ROCKS.

I have no idea what might have transpired on other boards, I can only go by what I know.....and my experience with Ivan & his products has been a very positive one.

ejensen
(2/28/03 10:01 am)

I assume that both individuals have alot of pride in their product. Both have spent time perfecting it, and both very protective of what they produce. I visit the Max-Suzuki site daily and have learned a lot there. I don't have a Holeshot jet kit, I bought Ivan's kit from the recomendation of a few individuals on the Max site. For $50 it was a hard deal to pass up. I have no doubt that if I have a problem with the kit Ivan will be there to help me.

It's like if I called your kid names, of course you will be pissed off. It's called PRIDE.

I am not defending Ivan or Dale or Max Suzuki, I wan't to learn as much as I can about the bike that I enjoy so much from everyone without both sides getting into it even more than they already have.

txmedic
(3/1/03 2:29 pm)
Main Jet Sizes

Just out of curiosity, what size main jets does the Ivan's kit recommend for a full aftermarket exhaust? I have used both kits (Ivan's and Dale's) and couldn't be happier with either one. They are an "apples and oranges" approach to tuning though.

Dinger97
(3/1/03 10:26 pm)
Re: Main Jet Sizes

Really don't know that one, but I would love to start riding again. Just wish the snow would go away and my bike was donebike

Add me to the list (again) of happy Ivan's users. I ordered his kit on Monday (for the $50 promotional rate) and received and installed it on Thursday. I'll dyno it soon to get the exhaust sniffed and see what the power looks like. My Dual-Orb dyno tells me it is dialed in. Smooth power delivery across the revs and does it pull hard!.

I'll bet I spent 30 minutes with Ivan on the phone Monday and called Thursday to ask a SAQ (silly-assed question) He was knowledgable and more than happy to answer questions.

txmedic
(3/20/03 11:30 pm)
Re: Ivan's Jet kit - installed/webmonster editing

As promised, here is the first dyno run. It's too rich so I have to drop the needle a 1/2 step and turn in the miture screws 1/2 a turn and try again. This is a Factory Pro dyno so HP converted to 116hp and torque 74ft/lbs on a Dyno Jet scale.

www.cox-internet.com/txmedic/

PeteSC
(3/21/03 10:23 am)
Re: jet kit/dyno run

That's decent!

hotdog
(3/21/03 9:10 pm)
tx set up questions

Nice results!!! Thanks for posting (I got a look at the chart lst night, won't load today).

What are you running for exhaust? Ignition advancer? Pair blockoff?

Steve

txmedic
(3/21/03 9:54 pm)
Re: tx set up questions

Sorry, new to web publishing. I screwed it up, but the first page should work now.

I have a Hindle exhaust, Holeshot PAIR removal kit but no ignition advancer.

hotdog
(3/22/03 3:35 pm)
fine looking bike!

that sure is TX.

The blue piping on the Corbin is a nice touch. I went with the GF also, mine is plain black though.

That is the first owner pic of a Hindle I have seen, how do you like it. If it is the system I'm thinking of it's german (y/n?) and also not a very loud pipe.

I am anxious to hear how your tweaks affect the output.

Steve

txmedic
(3/22/03 4:26 pm)
Re: fine looking bike!

Hindle is of Canadian manufacture. It is not exceptionally loud. I used the same standards used by MCN's recent test of pipes in which they rated a stock Bandit at 99db. The Hindle came in at 108db using the same criteria (0.5 meter from the exhaust tip, 45 degree angle at 1/2 of redline). My ZRX posted a 115db reading with a Muzzy system. Best price I found on it came from Starcycle. I would recommend it to anyone, but be advised you'll lose the center stand.

Brock-Hindle offers a similar pipe that retains the stand and is finished with a Ti can for about $100 more. Since I have a track stand, the center stand wasn't an issue for me.

rockland county motorcycle
(3/23/03 12:38 am)

Hi txmedic,

Before you start changing things too much, try a DJ dyno w/a sniffer and see if the "rich" condition shows up there as well.

Sometimes load dynos of a different type will give different readings due to different load conditions.

On an FP dyno, my R6 kit shows up rich as well, but not on a DJ dyno....on the road, if you lean it out, you lose power.

Certain pipe designs create very strong resonances at certain rpms causing certain areas to richen up due to poor trapping efficiency in that rpm range.

Also, not every engine design makes best power at the same level of exhaust emissions......these air-cooled Suzuki's like it slightly on the richer side compared to a Yamaha or Kaw, due to the older design combustion chamber.
With higher compression, the Suzuki will yeild lower emissions.

I'm not saying that it isn't too rich, but it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion......

Just trying to help....

Ivan
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

txmedic
(3/23/03 8:31 am)

Thanks Ivan. I'll try that. I just fiund out about a Dyno-Jet dyno yesterday.

hotdog
(mystery date/time)
any changes?

did you make any changes from the previous run?

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for the dyno?

Steve

txmedic
(4/4/03 2:48 pm)

OK, here it is. This time I did it on a Dynojet dyno. Still not quite there, but darm close.

txmedic
(4/7/03 10:38 am)

I pay $40 for two runs. I did not make any changes other than than turn in the mixture screws 1/2 a turn. I wanted to get an actual DJ dyno run as Ivan suggested. I'm kind of on hold now because I should be taking the bandit in for the piston swap this week. You should have seen it smoke on the dyno.

hotdog
(4/18/03 8:31 pm)
mileage

After giving it a little time so I'm not wringing it out all the time (enjoying the change), I checked a tank of mixed street & fwy riding. At a reasonably brisk pace I got 39.6 mpg. I can live with that, on the road it will come into the low-mid 40s which will give me decent range. Runs like a top.

poopooshanks
(4/19/03 1:47 pm)
Ivans jet kits

Ivan, I was wondering if you were going to run a special again on the jet kits.... thanks

ejensen
(4/21/03 8:07 am)
ivans jet kit

What is the difference between the kit for the aftermarket vs. stock exhaust?

Red01SuziB12S
(4/21/03 2:52 pm)
Re: ivans jet kit

If I understand it correctly, there is no difference, it is the same kit, with instuctions telling you what to do for stock or aftermarket exhaust.
Paul W
WWBOC #684
Camano Is. WA, USA
rockland county motorcycle
(4/21/03 10:15 pm)
Re: Main Jet Sizes

Sorry Guys,

No more specials......I just wanted to get a bunch of them out there so you guys can see how good they are.

I would consider a group buy if there are others interested

Paul, you are correct, the settings for slip-on's and full exhaust are listed on the set-up sheet (included with the kits)

Thanks,
Ivan
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)