Author Topic: Rear shock help  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Ar-Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.arkansasextremes.com
Rear shock help
« on: December 25, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »
ok, so I have decided to buy a new rear shock for my 2002 bandit 600.  I have heard that the gixxer shock fits it.  So here are my questions, is the gixxer shock adjustable and what year gixxer shock do I need to buy to fit into my bike.  Thanks guys.
On a Swedish chainsaw --
"Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
(Oh my Word..was there a lot of this happening somewhere?)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:52:31 AM »
Thegsx-r shock  fits the 1st gen.B12.The 2nd gen.Bandits were using 'Busa shocks. I'm not sure about the 600s,or if the 1200 shock would fit the 600. But if you don't mind spending some $, Progressive is the most reasonably priced. Pensky makes a very good shock,and of course Ohlins,I have a Works Performance shock besides my Gsx-r(thats for a 98B12)I bought the gsx-r for $150 American $ (fully adjustable and gives me 1.5"more hiegth in the back)the WP shock set me back $500+. (thread type preload adjustment,adjustable rebound damping,compression dampening at factory for your wieght and riding style.Unless you want to spend more for their best)by the time I paid for shipping twice (had it revalved,and another heavier spring) The WP keeps the stock riding hiegth,as I think the progressive does also. A good back shock,along with Race Tech gold valves and springs makes a big difference in the way the bike handles.Hope this helps

Offline Ar-Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:13:24 AM »
so lets say that I buy the busa shock, and it raises my back end up 1.5 inches.  So would it work if I put the busa shock in and the lowered the bike 2 inches.  Would that defeat the purpose of the new shock or what.  Because I don't really want it the tail end up or anything unless its gonna help me at all.  I plan on runnin it at the track this year so what kinda set up do I need to do that would be reasonably priced for someone on a budget.
On a Swedish chainsaw --

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear shock help
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »
Expect to pay $20-$40, plus shipping for a Busa shock off ebay. If the bidding gets much higher than that, wait for the next one. I might be willing to pay a little more if the shock has zero or near zero miles on it, but not much more - these shocks show up on ebay all the time and most are low mile. Sometimes you'll see Busa shocks listed with dogbones and the suspension lever/bellcrank. Don't pay anything extra for a shock with these parts as they are useless to a Bandit owner anyway.

If you don't want the additional tail height from the longer shock, it is OK to use lowering dogbones to bring it back down. Just use ones for a Bandit, not a Busa. Unless seat height is an issue for you, you may want to leave the raised tail - especially if you're planning track days.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ar-Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
So let me get this straight....If I plan on draggin this bike for next season then i need to leave the tail up instead of gettin it down lower.  Hmmm, But I plan on ordering the busa shock later this week.

mbp.
On a Swedish chainsaw --

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear shock help
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:16:06 AM »
By track days, I was thinking of road courses, not drag racing. For drag racing, you'll want the bike as low as you can safely get it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ar-Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 09:46:59 AM »
so I put the busa shock on it and then lower it back down...is that gonna effect the airbox or anything.  What kinda modifications am I gonna have to make.
On a Swedish chainsaw --

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 08:32:54 AM »
The only thing I noticed with using the longer dog bones is it effcts the performance of the shock. I had a pair made 4mm over stock wich brought it back down 1 9/16" but then I had too much sag. I don't drag mine, so I perfere the extra 1 1/2" in the back and I can set my sag between 3/4 - 1". That may not be a factor on the strip?

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear shock help
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 08:34:35 AM »
That was total sag, rider and leathers included. 1st measure free sag,then total sag.