Author Topic: Bypass clutch switch on 2001 B12S  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Human Potato

• TURBO TYPER!
Bypass clutch switch on 2001 B12S
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:38:09 AM »
Hi Guys

After replacing my clutch lever (I dropped the bike, don't ask...) I found that in order to start the bike I have to really pull the clutch lever in hard in order to activate the clutch switch.  It is an easy fix but since the need to pull the clutch in to start the bike has always been a bother I figured I may as well just remove the switch, or short it out.  So I have some questions for you...
a)  Is the clutch switch only used to determine if the motor should be allowed to start or not (i.e. does the switch control any other weird thing in the motor or something?)
b) Is it a "normally open" switch? (i.e. if I want to bypass it, can I just solder a wire between the two exposed contacts?)
c) With the switched bypassed, will the bike start if it is in gear AND the sidestand is still down (this would be bad...)

Any help appreciated!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Bypass clutch switch on 2001 B12S
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
a)  Is the clutch switch only used to determine if the motor should be allowed to start or not (i.e. does the switch control any other weird thing in the motor or something?)
Only prevents starting.

b) Is it a "normally open" switch? (i.e. if I want to bypass it, can I just solder a wire between the two exposed contacts?)
Yes.

c) With the switched bypassed, will the bike start if it is in gear AND the sidestand is still down (this would be bad...)
No, a separate switch on the sidestand prevents this.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)