Author Topic: 2001 b1200 performance expectations  (Read 3497 times)

Offline pauly62

• Board Regular!
2001 b1200 performance expectations
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »
hey everybody. bbs newbie here ;-)
i bought a 2001 b1200 w 8000 miles on it last year. it was a theft recovery so was in disrepair and needed some work.
there was a full hindle 20" system on it and had not even been rejetted.
i ordered a jet kit from holeshot with an ignition advancer,pair mod and dual k&n filters.
after having screwed around with it for a while have 155 mains and the needles all the way up.
i wanted to get someone elses opinion about what my expectations about its performance should be.
it seems to wind up pretty well with the tire coming up in first gear.
there arent any flat spots or stumbling anywhere or even roll on in 5th.
but it doesnt seem to be exactly right to me... i had to go up to bigger main jets than came with dales kit came with
and raise the needles all the way up to get it to run where it is right now.
does anyone get a wheelie winding up in second or have any opinion about what i have my carb tuning settings on?
the paint job on it was horrible so i sent it out for a black cherry paint job.
ive posted a pic of it here for everyone.
im so happy i got it back together and its finally over 50 degrees in chicago !!

Offline mwheat308

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: 2001 b1200 performance expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »
 :welcome:
Sorry I can't help with the info, mine is stock.  Just wanted to say Welcome and Nice Bike.
There are some great mechs here and I'm sure that one will chime in.

Mike
Gun CONTROL is hitting the target the FIRST time!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
Sounds awfully rich to me.  Are you sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?  I'm at sea level with a slip-on and Dale's Stage II pod kit and mine set up fine just following Dale's baseline instructions.  If you setup in cold weather, that could have an effect too, since cold air has more density.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pauly62

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
thanks alot for that info, i got it so late in the season last year i havent had a chance to run it much over 60 degrees yet.
it was kind of inconceivable to me that ide be running those needles all the way up but it wouldnt run
with any of the jets in the kit anywhere else and then i had to go bigger mains to get it to run this good.
that fast larrys bandit page mentioned mains between 155-160.
i guess what i was hoping was someone would say go up in main jets so i can drop the needles down some.
this is the first full tank of fuel ive put in it so i guess get some kind of idea about where the gas mileage will be.
im under the impression with those needles so high im gonna get awful mileage in the lower rpm range.
its gonna snow this weekend so ill have some time to think about it and try to run down those vacuums. 
anyone else with insight would surely be appreciated ;-)
those of you who can ride this weekend have a great time !!!!