Author Topic: 2001 B6S Fuel Question - Help please :-)  (Read 2578 times)

Offline mgob

• New user!
    • http://www.imagepile.net
2001 B6S Fuel Question - Help please :-)
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »
Okay so here's the background to this question;

Picked up a '01 B6S w/ only 7,100 miles on it about a month ago.
The first week I had it I had some carb issues, it flooded badly and took hours before I was able to start it.  took it back to the dealer of course, they replaced all the needle jets and gave the carbs a thorough cleaning.  Got the bike back, GREAT no more problems.  

About a week after that I started to have almost the same symptoms, it would hydrolock if I let it sit overnight or more than 6hrs, it would also leak a very small amount of gas.  I figured perhaps the carbs are dirty again, seemed logical since after the dealer replaced the needle jets and cleaned the carbs it ran like a champ.  So I ran a few tanks of gas through with some carb cleaner to no change.  I then noticed that when my gas tank gets close to empty it starts to run better , doesn't flood or leak.

So I'm thinking I have some sort of vacuum problem with the fuel line since there is no petcock setting of 'off'.

I don't think it's the floats because the carbs are clean as a whistle and as I said before they were just thoroughly cleaned and new needle jets.

The bike is under a complete warranty and yes I should just take it back to the dealer to get a opinion from them but if it's something I can resolve myself I'd rather not give up the bike for a few days to a week for them to dismantle it and try and locate the issue.

Thanks in advance guys!
-Scott

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:22:14 AM »
Make sure your not running the fuel petcock on "prime". You should be on "on" or "res". On prime you are letting the full fuel pressure head be held back by the float needles.

Just a thought.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:45:58 PM »
The next thing to check, is if the petcock does not leak in the on position with the bike off.

Take the tank off, prop it up so that the petcock is not stressed, and wait.

No fuel should come out.
2002 GSF6

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 03:51:14 AM »
Good points, but there's two things that have to be wrong for the bike to get hydrolock from fuel.

1) Leaking petcock (or left in prime position)
2) Float needle & seat leaking

If the float needle & seat aren't leaking, fuel can't get into the cylinders.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)