Author Topic: 2002 B6 Fuel Tank Installation  (Read 2468 times)

Offline rrp0968

• New user!
2002 B6 Fuel Tank Installation
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:35:38 AM »
I have just aquired a 2002 B6 with about 9000 Miles on it.

The PO let it sit for about a year and a half.......needless to say the fuel system was shot.

Anyway......he had me (needed trailer) bring it to the local stealer to have the carbs rebuilt. When they got into it........the fuel tank was toast....along with the fuel cock and fuel gauge float unit. He decided he was not going to invest any more $$$$ into this bike and sell it as-is. Soo.....I picked it up from him for a fair deal. After I get the new tank on it.....it will be good as new. I will also do some other maint......oil change.....clean, lube and adjust chain.....new air cleaner.....etc. Anything else I should check. I have also checked the brakes.....rear pads are thin.....those are on the way as well.

My question is this........the dealer rebuilt the carbs and ran it on an IV bottle to sync them and set everything up. They did not re-install the tank.

So......the tank has two nipples on it towards the rear......one is a vent/drain that drains to grade.....correct........what is the smaller one for???? I have founf a hose in that area that goes towards the rear of the bike.....splits into a tee........then the two hoses jus stop on either side of the bike. What is this for??? I have looked at the fiche.....and it looks like the correct hose to connect.......just want to be sure before the tank arrives.

I have a new tank on the way from Ron Ayers......but I may order some POR15 to see if I can repair this one......just for kicks. The outside of the tank looks brand new......the inside however......not so good.......all sorts of nasties flaking off.

So.....any info would be appriciated.

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 06:37:49 AM »
The bottom of my 96 B6 gas tank has four hoses. One on the back right side is a drain for when water gets into the filler cap area. One on the left side to vent the tank. Two on the pepcock, one smaller that goes to the #4 carb vacuum port, and the larger one that goes down between the #2 and#3 carbs to fill the floats with gas.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »
weird how theres hoses and a T, more hoses and nothing connected.  I always assumed it was somthing to do with California bikes.

I have learned to ignore them.
2002 GSF6