Author Topic: Performance options for the 1st Gen B6 Bandit  (Read 2599 times)

Offline k_lundquist

• Board Regular!
Performance options for the 1st Gen B6 Bandit
« on: June 03, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
I figured I’d throw this up there – if anyone is like me with an older Bandit 600 looking for upgrade options.  There is a company based in Colorado now importing Delkevic exhaust systems that fit our bike.

Headers:
I first bought a set of headers from them – at $200 (shipped) they were a good price.  I was told they are direct OEM replacements.  Not so.  They are performance headers (larger outlets, 4-1 exhaust).  They also do not directly meet your stock system.  With some really minor modification they will however fit.

Jet Kit:
With new PERFORMANCE headers on the bike was running lean and the headers were heating up.  A quick call into HoleShot and 4 days later the bike had their Stage 1 kit on.  I HIGHLY recommend this – the bike is sooo much better.

New Muffler & Mid Pipe:
While working with my stock muffler I found what I had suspected – it was rotting on the inside and rattling pretty bad.

For $145 (shipped) Delkevic sells a can and mid-pipe for the bike.   Now that I have the system on I am happy.  BUT (and this is a big BUT) it is NOT a direct fit.  The “mid-pipe” does not meet the header – even though they are from the same company.  I had to use a sleeve to allow both to meet.  And plenty of RTV sealant.

Also the midpipe supplied was for a bolt on exhaust… the Delkevic exhaust is a slip on.  Thankfully I know a VERY good welder.  Welding stainless steel can be pretty tricky.  The can was welded to the midpipe at the back and I fabricated a silver sleeve to cover the weld.

All in all it performs well, looks good, and sounds decent.  I wanted something that didn’t sound ricey like a D&D.  After listening to a bunch of youtube clips I settled on the Delkevic.  I spent $50 for the weld and $10 for the sleeve & TRV.  So a little over $200 for a new exhaust.

Overall:
If you have the extra money – go with Holeshot.  Otherwise the Delkevic isn’t a bad system for the money – if you can stomach the headache of putting it on.  They do sell a full system (headers, midpipe, and muffler) as one piece which may be a whole lot easier to put on.

The company is an Ebay power seller – here is there email: Delkevic US [ebay@delkevic.us]

They are OK to deal with.  I called pretty annoyed about the poor fitting and maybe even completely wrong parts.  They were willing to give a refund – but I was able to modify it to work.