Author Topic: 2G 600 Air Filter question  (Read 1924 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
2G 600 Air Filter question
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »
You longer term guys have likely dealt with this issue before, but I can't find any specific stuff browsing the site...

It's time for a new air filter in my 2G 600. Does K&N make a filter to fit the stock air box? Has anyone tried it and does it help or hinder performance.

My 600 is still stone stock, but I have no problems dealing with a jet kit and/or rejetting the bike it there is some additional performance. I am NOT planning a new exhaust. (I am in the process of ordering SS front brake hoses and Progressive Springs, so some more winter projects look possible as well).

Any advice?
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G 600 Air Filter question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 10:09:51 PM »
Dale, over at Holeshot, recommends staying away from the K&N replacement filters for the 2G B6/12 and recommends the OEM paper filters.
Quote from: "Dale Walker"
Our extensive testing has found that the original Suzuki air filter element outperforms other high flow units in the new style air box of the 2000+ Bandit 600 and the 2001+ Bandit 1200.

We recommend using only this filter with the Holeshot Performance jet kits. We now have them in stock for our customers.

Since he's a K&N dealer, that says something isn't right with this particular application. (He does recommend them for the 1G bikes with a Stage I jet kit - just not the 2G.) For some reason, these filters cause rough spots Dale hasn't been able to figure out how to tune out, even with his jet kits (which would be normally be required when upgrading to the higher flowing K&N filters). You can go with the pods on the 2G's though.

OTOH, I've heard of folks running the K&N replacement with Ivan's jet kit in B12's and not having the problems Dale speaks of.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)