Author Topic: 96 600 needle shims  (Read 6077 times)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
96 600 needle shims
« on: April 08, 2005, 07:14:30 AM »
I have a HoleShot comp1 and I have a K&N air filter and a advance and some washers from radio shack, so I didn't buy a jet kit. I did however order two #100 main jets. I need to know how much to shim, I shimmed .016 , seams like I may be close but would like to know what others are shimming too?? I'm using two of the second too the smallest washer that I got at radio shack. Am I useing the right washers? Should I try three or even four? Shimming this bike is very ez and takes about 45 minutes at the most :thanks:

Oh yeah, I went to AutoZone and asked for some Autolite 4302 spark plugs and they said theres no listing of that plug. He tried to cross with the NGK CR9EK and found nothing listed also. Where can I find them?
I want good cheap plugs too. :beers:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:46:11 PM »
I know the Autolite plug for the B12 is a 4162. Don't know what their plug is for a B6 though. It's NOT the 4162.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:54:23 PM »
They may have changed numbers.  I did order a set for the 600 about this time last year, and gave them away at the rally.
  Will try it again.....

Here they are......

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=ATL&mfrpartnumber=4302

Verify they're the right number.............
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:33:29 AM »
I botched the install on of a Holeshot jet kit on my 96 b6 last year. I ended up taking it to a Suzuki shop to get them to sort it out and take care of some other needed maintainance. When I picked it up, I asked the mechanic the specifics on the carbs. He siad he used 4 shims on the needles but kept the stock main jets in. He said it was a little rich on the 98/100 main jets so didn't to go up to the replacements in the jet kit. The bike has a K&N filter and a Supertrapp slip on muffler and the timing advancer that came with the jet kit.  From what I've read here, 4 shims sounds excessive. If the engine wasn't running so good now, I'd remove a shim or 2 just to see what happens.

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 05:39:51 AM »
Quote from: "flip"
I botched the install on of a Holeshot jet kit on my 96 b6 last year. I ended up taking it to a Suzuki shop to get them to sort it out and take care of some other needed maintainance. When I picked it up, I asked the mechanic the specifics on the carbs. He siad he used 4 shims on the needles but kept the stock main jets in. He said it was a little rich on the 98/100 main jets so didn't to go up to the replacements in the jet kit. The bike has a K&N filter and a Supertrapp slip on muffler and the timing advancer that came with the jet kit.  From what I've read here, 4 shims sounds excessive. If the engine wasn't running so good now, I'd remove a shim or 2 just to see what happens.

\

while 4 does seem like a LOT ...it is hard to argue with results imho
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
shims
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 06:03:23 AM »
Are those shims the same as what I got from radio shack? Very small and very thin, .008 thick.
Progressive fork springs
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
jets
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 06:56:40 AM »
Well I'm still waiting for my jets, its been two weeks, the shop said one more day. I took my K&N out and put the paper one back in because it felt like it was running out of gas when I ran at a stady pase. I'm going to try four shims before I rejet and see what happens. At will bring it up to about .032 . I'll break out the mic and check the size.

So flip, do you have any of the jets or spacers or spacers, and if so do you want to sell? Also what are the air/fuel screws set at?? Or are they still capped?
    :thanks:
Progressive fork springs
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:07:35 PM »
Dude,
Make sure that she can take full throttle up to redline without a hiccup or hesitation. Any hesitation or "out of steam" feeling requires an increase of main jet. Go a step at a time. One step is significant.
After that, cruise on a flat surface in 3rd or 4th at mid RPM and listen (head to tank so you can hear the engine) on whether she's got a slight miss. If so, add a shim. Make darn sure that the shims are the same thickness. I use the Radio Shack ones and they vary. Slide a bunch down a nail and pick the ones that are closest (I don't have a mic). Add one at a time until the problem goes away. Adding too many drops MPG by a bunch.
This is a good shadetree approach to non-dyno jetting that's worked well for me since the original 2" mod. Since then, the K&N and full header have exercised it well. Anyone that focuses on adding shims instead of selecting a correct main is wasting fyuel and power.

As for the plugs, my cross reference from hell says that the CR9EK crosses with 4302 Autolite, X27EPR-U9 Nippondenso, R121XLS AC Delco, XR4CS Bosch, and RA6HC Champion.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
96 600 needle shims
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 07:07:39 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply. I really don't know the thickness of the shims used. There were some in the jet kit but not 16 so I don't know what the mechanic used. I had set the pilot screws at 2.5 turns out. I am going to hold on to the (2) 100 and (2) 102 main jets from the Holeshot kit. I bought another airbox lid  with the thoughts of installing 2 snorkles in one lid so i might need to go a little larger on the mains.