Author Topic: 96 Bandit 600 new to bandits  (Read 7343 times)

Offline nomoreusmc

• New user!
96 Bandit 600 new to bandits
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
I am really new to bandits, the first thing I noticed is that the suspension sucks! Other than that I love everything  else about this bike. It's by far the most comfy sport bike I have ever ridden. Okay so I know this topic has been beat to death but after about 2 hours of searching It looks like a pre 02 gixxr 750 rear shock is what I need. I haven't seen anyone say anything about the spring though bandit spring or gixxer? I was looking at the progressive kit for the front forks but has anyone used both the progressive and the race tech and can give me the differences between the two? This is my daily rider and I want to keep it from being too stiff but it's way too soft right now. The bike had a d&d exhaust already on it. Now most people say to get a stage 1 kit for the carbs. Can you tell if it already has been done? She is cold natured. And the headlights are aweful dim, who makes a good HID kit for theese? Thanks so much.

Tom

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 96 Bandit 600 new to bandits
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »
firstly gday and :welcome:
There is a million and one upgrades for the front and rear, its all done to personel preferences.
Yes stage one is a bloody good place to start. But again personal preferences, Holeshot, factory pro.
Now the headlight? is it a S model or a N model.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline nomoreusmc

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »
firstly gday and :welcome:
There is a million and one upgrades for the front and rear, its all done to personel preferences.
Yes stage one is a bloody good place to start. But again personal preferences, Holeshot, factory pro.
Now the headlight? is it a S model or a N model.

It's the one with the fairing (if you can call it that, it's so small and cute!)  The brites just seem to move the beam up 10 ft! LOL

I am afraid to do the busa shock because I got shot over in the sand box and my knees aren't what they used to be. I think I have decided on the progressive springs. Probibly just get an aftermarket rear shock so I don't have to mess with it.

:thanks:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
Racetech springs are straight rate, while Progressives are, well, progressive.  Straight rate is generally considered better, but the Progressives are usually cheaper. 

Your 96 uses a common H4 bulb and there are lots of vendors out there that offer H4 bulbs in higher wattages.  Dont go too crazy with wattage unless you put a relay in there and a heavier duty light harness.  The OE wires won't take too well to running 100w or more.  Actually, just upgrading the stock light wiring and powering it with a relay will usually yield surprisingly good results.
True HID is expensive (I take it since you bought a '96, money may be a concern) and will require finding a place to mount the ballast.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline nomoreusmc

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
Racetech springs are straight rate, while Progressives are, well, progressive.  Straight rate is generally considered better, but the Progressives are usually cheaper. 

Your 96 uses a common H4 bulb and there are lots of vendors out there that offer H4 bulbs in higher wattages.  Dont go too crazy with wattage unless you put a relay in there and a heavier duty light harness.  The OE wires won't take too well to running 100w or more.  Actually, just upgrading the stock light wiring and powering it with a relay will usually yield surprisingly good results.
True HID is expensive (I take it since you bought a '96, money may be a concern) and will require finding a place to mount the ballast.

Actually I got the bike as a bonus in a car trade and I love it! It's by far the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and is comparable to my 02 gsxr600 in power/speed, but gets MUCH better fuel mileage. I am not a knee dragger, but a pleasure rider, and about this time of year it stops raining for a few months and I can ride daily. The stock suspension just doesn't give me the safe comfy feeling it should. IMO it's way to soft to come from the factory this way. If I decide to go HID what amp relay should I use?

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

It's the one with the fairing (if you can call it that, it's so small and cute!)  The brites just seem to move the beam up 10 ft! LOL

I am afraid to do the busa shock because I got shot over in the sand box and my knees aren't what they used to be. I think I have decided on the progressive springs. Probibly just get an aftermarket rear shock so I don't have to mess with it.

:thanks:

Ok an s model must admit I found the very same problem. Well 2 to be correct.
1 some bright spark previous owner tried a headlight alignment, and screwed the adjustment screw completely out of the headlight reflector, so there was no adjustment.
2 the wiring loom behind the fairing, has seen better days, and most of the earths where cooked (black from overloading)
And in this state were unable to carry the return current of even a standard globe. hence a dull sub standard headlight
I now run a standard N model 7 inch headlight with upgraded wiring (no relays)and standard 55/60 h4 globe and find it excellent.

Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
If I decide to go HID what amp relay should I use?

Volts X Amps = Watts 
Or in this case, wanting to figure what amp relay to get:
Watts/Volts = Amps
Get one rated a little higher than what your calculations come up with.

HID is usually a pretty low draw on the electrics, so you may not need a relay - or it may come with the kit. 

However, HID lamps require a different reflector than any of the incandescent (OEM B6) systems, so to do HID right, you'd need a HID compatable headlamp assy - and I'm not sure there is such a thing available.  You can get some pretty wicked H4 bulbs though.  I run a pair 90/130w H4's in my Jeep... and due to their high power draw, I did have to beef up the wiring and run a relay to keep from blowing the headlight switch and melting the OE harness.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)