Author Topic: Another Busa Fork Conversion Post!  (Read 13034 times)

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Another Busa Fork Conversion Post!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
Had to reverse the head light brackets to accept the Acerbis to the Busa forks, hooked up the head light and turn signals, finished hooking up the vapor gauges, and cinched down the bars and went for road a test!

I need to do some more work but it's getting there.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:22:15 PM by Mongo »
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »
I managed to finish installing the mounting bracket for the gauges tonight just need to take it back off one more time and clean up the radius around the ignition switch to even it out and touch up the paint.

I also sorted out the the movment in the bars by pulling the Busa upper bushing and replaced it with the upper bushing from the Bandit bar mounts. The chrome cap managed to stiffen it up not allowing it to flex as much! :motorsmile:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:30:25 PM by Mongo »
02 1200 Fighter

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
any chance you know the measurements for the spacer you had to make for the spindle?   
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
any chance you know the measurements for the spacer you had to make for the spindle?   

Had it written on a post it note in my jacket pocket and I tossed it yesterday but I think it was 0.980" OD and 0.870" ID but I'm not 100% sure. I can measure the Busa Stem for the OD and the Bandit triple clamp to make sure?
02 1200 Fighter

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »
could you? I'd like to keep the bandit together as long as possible but want to run up to my dads for easter and may as well spin the spacer when im there.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
02 1200 Fighter

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
sweet  :thanks: :thanks: thats great, now i can leave the bandit road worthy for a few more weeks.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
I Finally got a chance to make a run up the canyon to bad it was so windy I really did not get the chance to see how the new set up was working out but what I can tell you so far is the Busa forks make a night and day change in the handling from what I can tell!

That and my butt puckered when I saw brake fluid on my bars, guess I needed to put a little more shit on the fittings to the master after I relocated the brake lines! :duh:

02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
Fabricated a mounting plate for the Busa steering damper to fit to the Bandits head light and fairing bracket using a hack saw, die grinder, 5/16" tap, a scrap 1" x 1/2" plate and a welder!

A little paint and I'll mount it up!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:52:44 PM by Mongo »
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
Don't use 1/2" stock you'll end up grinding a 1/3 of it back out to make it fit. That and you will need to use a hex head bolt to get it to clear the steering stop a cap head was way to tall.

02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »
Mounted and 06/07 GSXR 600/750 front fender to a Busa Front end Today.

Cut tabs

Trimmed the rear tab on the fender and fabricated spacers and brackets for the front tabs on the fender.

Mounted and called it good!

02 1200 Fighter

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »
Swapped out the Bandtit stem into the Busa lower, now I need to get to work on the stops!

WTH! Are those ball bearings on the steering post? You have GOT to be kidding! Nothing but roller bearings are adequate on anything bigger than a moped!

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »
Swapped out the Bandtit stem into the Busa lower, now I need to get to work on the stops!

WTH! Are those ball bearings on the steering post? You have GOT to be kidding! Nothing but roller bearings are adequate on anything bigger than a moped!

I ride in the slow lane!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »

I ride in the slow lane!

Look, me like Mongo, but Mongo got to get roller bearings for poor Bandit! Mongo ever see steering head bearings fall out of Yamaha R5C, all nice and square like tiny dice? Me did. No ride bike with bearings like that! Not fair to unsuspecting  mommies with baseball team in mini-van!

Okay - serious again: Page 2-17 Suzuki Service Manual, GSF1200S Service Manual, p/n 99500-39134-03E, "periodic maintenance, steering" on page 2-17 says that "TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS are used on the steering system for better handling". You really need to go to the Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop and have a look at what the fork assembly is made of. You won't find no steenkin' BALL BEARINGS on the fork assembly, OL' BUDDY! Look ashamed!

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »

Look, me like Mongo, but Mongo got to get roller bearings for poor Bandit! Mongo ever see steering head bearings fall out of Yamaha R5C, all nice and square like tiny dice? Me did. No ride bike with bearings like that! Not fair to unsuspecting  mommies with baseball team in mini-van!

Okay - serious again: Page 2-17 Suzuki Service Manual, GSF1200S Service Manual, p/n 99500-39134-03E, "periodic maintenance, steering" on page 2-17 says that "TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS are used on the steering system for better handling". You really need to go to the Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop and have a look at what the fork assembly is made of. You won't find no steenkin' BALL BEARINGS on the fork assembly, OL' BUDDY! Look ashamed!

Shit where were you when I started this project now I have to go and yank it down again, oh well it rides bitchin for now I'll worry about it latter!
 :thumb:
Thanks
02 1200 Fighter