Author Topic: Another Busa Fork Conversion Post!  (Read 13033 times)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Another Busa Fork Conversion Post!
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »

Look, me like Mongo, but Mongo got to get roller bearings for poor Bandit! Mongo ever see steering head bearings fall out of Yamaha R5C, all nice and square like tiny dice? Me did. No ride bike with bearings like that! Not fair to unsuspecting  mommies with baseball team in mini-van!

Okay - serious again: Page 2-17 Suzuki Service Manual, GSF1200S Service Manual, p/n 99500-39134-03E, "periodic maintenance, steering" on page 2-17 says that "TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS are used on the steering system for better handling". You really need to go to the Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop and have a look at what the fork assembly is made of. You won't find no steenkin' BALL BEARINGS on the fork assembly, OL' BUDDY! Look ashamed!

Shit where were you when I started this project now I have to go and yank it down again, oh well it rides bitchin for now I'll worry about it latter!
 :thumb:
Thanks

Mongo, you're in luck. Changing the steering head bearings is pretty easy. Just have a set of tapered roller bearings on hand whose Inner Diameter fits over the steering post, and whose Outer Diameter fits the GSF1200 steering head. Be sure the bearings are properly oriented too. Talk to a Suzuki mechanic if you're not sure of the exact installation and adjustment procedures. The shop manual even has a procedure for torquing the bearings precisely so that there's virtually no chance of head shake. Your bike is a real beauty. It's obvious you've put a lot of work and love into her, so don't take a chance of losing her due to the use of ball bearings in the steering head.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Another Busa Fork Conversion Post!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
Hey mongo, just wanted to say thanks, your measured spacer fit perfectly! Very happy with that, now if only the guy operating the press at the machine shop did as good a job.  :duh:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike